Thursday, 27 August 2009

G'day From Kettering

Hello All,

Well...what can I say about my travels today? We woke up early and had breakfast...toast and tea (I miss drinking water, funny enough). OOhhh! and I had cocoa pops! They are like chocolate rice crispies but better. By the way, the milk here tastes better!!! (you were right, Carolin)

After breakfast and a long conversation with the woman here, where she mentioned her concern for our flat, we went our way to town again. We spent the day there getting odds and ends (alarm clock radios, our cell phones - it costs 7p per minute to call Canada, but 20p per minute to call in the UK), and go catalogue shopping for stuff we will need. They have a place here called Argos that is basically a Consumers Distributing...but better. We were hoping to get our furniture from there really cheap, but if we do that, we will have to wait a month for our beds. Instead, we will probably get our bedroom furniture from a second hand place called "British Heart Foundation", where they sell second-hand furniture and the money goes towards the Heart Foundation (like our Heart and Stroke Foundation). We also have found a possible dining room set for 70 pounds! (A table with 4 chairs) The problem is that you can't purchase now and deliver later, so we have to wait to have the flat before we can purchase these items. Still, it is slowly coming together...yay!!!

I am kinda getting sick of eating out for lunch and dinner every day, especially as the places we've been going to are really keen on sausage rolls (imagine breakfast sausage meat wrapped in a pastry dough...with all the fat). I had two yesterday for lunch, as they were 2 for 1 pound...and that was a BIG mistake. Now, I am totally turned off it. Today, it's been cold sandwiches with chicken...yum. Still, once we get a place, I will be looking forward to making an actual meal. And, the fridges here are like beer fridges, so it forces us not to buy or make too much.

Oh, that reminds me, we had a chance to check out how to get to our flat today. It is amazingly close to the town centre...but we still have to find our way to the school (probably a bus...at least I think I'm doing a bus. I don't want to be sweaty walking into my classroom).

The rest of the evening will be relaxed, I hope. Oh, and I hope to put on some picks here soon.

Love and miss you all!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Steph, just like a promised I'm reading your blog from start to end today. I should be doing wedding stuff though :S

    Anyhoo, we have sausage rolls here too! They're normally sold along with Jamaican patties in cafterias and convenience stores.

    ReplyDelete