This weekend was exciting...even the people who left the vomit trail for me to follow on my walk to church Sunday morning seemed to celebrate John's birthday - with their multicoloured excretions of fluorescent pink and orange. (Okay, gross, but I did happen to notice that this weekend). Saturday, John was having a birthday party in Market Harborough for his 50th (which took place on the 22nd).
Before leaving for the party, as a gesture of good will, we all decided to go for a cheap meal at the Earl of Dalkeith...and by "we" I mean Krista, Nike, Mel, Jen, Amy and Bruce (boyfriend), and myself. We were aiming to get the 7:27 train, so tried leaving for 7 to make our way to the train station...especially as Mel takes more time to get places. In the end, the girls took longer to come back from the house (where they got the gift), meaning that although the rest of us got there on time, we ended up watching the train leave the station as we waited for Mel and had to call a taxi (as the next train wasn't for an hour). I know that sounds very negative, and I apologize, but I find it frustrating only because the girls knew Mel's issue and insisted on having her walk to the house then back again before heading to the station...but if it was me, I would NEVER hear the end of it.
Anyway, we made the to John's house and was greeted by the birthday boy wearing a traditional Irish tartan kilt, complete with sporran...which I had to say was odd when John - at one point in the evening - pulled out his mobile phone from this pouch. (It just seemed so wrong).
There were some very interesting characters found within the house that was slightly bigger than our place...oh and we have pictures to prove the oddities (including make-out sessions in the middle of the living room/lounge). We spend most of our evening conversing with each other (from the school) and drinking Mango Mojitos...they were YUMMY!!!
We left the place just after midnight - where John (still in kilt) waited with us for the taxi to arrive...mentioning that there were places on his body that were getting cold that he didn't think could ever get cold. (Yikes! Thanks for the visual John!)
When we arrived in Kettering, I had a 10 minute walk from where the taxi dropped us off (don't ask...another bone of contention I had), where the cold, night air caused me to wake up. The result: I didn't get to bed until 4am...and I got to meet Nike's "friend" (Tony) from the other evening a couple weeks back. (No comment).
Sunday was pretty relaxing, although I have to admit I was mostly out of it until after I had brunch (which, of course, came after I went to mass). I got some work done for my religion course...but now have to contend with my Year 11 report cards (GROAN!!!) Wish me luck!
Points of Interest:
1) Students at KSA had "Mufti Day" on Friday (only students...teachers weren't included this time). This is the day where students come in to school in their "casual clothes" (i.e. no uniform) but have to pay a pound for the privilege...the money was being raised for Haiti. When I asked a student why it's called "Mufti", they couldn't tell me. However, as I dug a little deeper and found out that it is a term from India that was used to describe British soldiers out of their uniforms (i.e. civies day).
2) I got asked the other day if all Canadians have white teeth...as apparently all the Canadian teachers they had met so far this year seem to have white teeth...I took it ask a compliment.
3) My year 7s have become extremely excited about my travelling gnome. They have created a wall in my classroom designated to the pictures I take of the gnome on my travels, and have offered to take the gnome home to take pictures doing activities (such as swimming and karate). This reminds me of my "Billy the Bear" I used in Kindergarten to Grade 2 classes.
No comments:
Post a Comment