Saturday, 12 December 2009

The Count-down Is On!!!

Okay, I'll be honest, I've been counting down for some time, but when it's only a week away from being back home...it really is a count down.

This past week has gone by both quickly and slowly. As I mentioned in my previous blog, there were some long nights at school - making it REALLY hard to get up the next day. I've also been trying to get over this cold, but haven't been able to shake it...GRR!!!! It also didn't help that last night I had 2 really bad coughing fits that came out of nowhere - once when I was on the phone (yikes!). But, I am positive that all will work out well in the end.

What worries me is the idea of how the students will behave for the next week. Don't get me wrong, the teachers will be just as anxious for the week to come to an end, but having to control a group of teenagers who really don't want to be in maths lessons leaves something to be desired. This is especially true with my year 10s on Friday. Even though we've been told by the principal NOT to show videos in class the last week, I am going to...at least for 1 of the 3 classes I have with them on Friday. Don't get me wrong, they will have math activities to do at the same time (they will have to tally Christmas words then draw a graph or something), but let's face it: who wants to be in any lesson for 4 hours on the last day of school before a holiday begins???

I have been given some encouraging information though. Our new head of maths begins in January and he has already proposed/demanded a new schedule for the year 10s - I'm only concerned how it will affect the rest of the teaching schedule. We have also rearranged our maths office to be more of a "haven" for us to do planning in - although I still don't like the way how it's set up...but that we have no control over, it's just the logistics of the office itself. Either way, this new head of department (Martin) has a lot to live up to expectation-wise. I just hope he can turn things around - helping me to enjoy my teaching experience a bit more.

This weekend, I am going to try to complete my assignment for Ottawa (due a week ago but unable to really attack, especially with being sick - thank God for extensions). Beyond that, I think more rest and plenty of fluids are still in order.

Interesting Stories:

1) This first story is an indication of how frustrating it can be to teach the year 10s once a week for 4 hours. Last week, I didn't go to school on Friday because of being sick, but left work for the supply to teach for those three periods. I had heard from a TA that was in the room that the students had forgotten all that they were taught the previous Friday with me, and had to refer back to the posters they made for help (yay, they do come in handy!). Anyway, when I saw them this week, they complained about last week's work saying it was hard. I spent the first lesson reviewing all the work we've talked about the past couple of weeks (angles, triangles, corresponding, alternate, etc...). I had made notes on the board to help them recall the information we had discussed. Some students were paying attention, and a handful were not...but what can I do? So, I took up the whole lesson going through all that information, ending with percentages and it was time for breakfast.

Next period, we reviewed the review we had discussed in period 1, then I went over how they were supposed to do bearings. I gave them steps to follow and discussed with them what they would need to know...as I was giving them a test on all the information. We went through all the material again, then handed out the tests. During the test, there was one student who ALWAYS calls out the answers during lesson (forgetting to put his hand) and is often correct when he does answer...but during the test admitted he was having problems. I looked at him and said, "Imagine I'm standing in front of the class and asking the question - to which I get mad because you always call out the answer...what would you say is the answer?" and he was able to answer most questions.

I finished marking them at home last night, and found the results of my labour. Now, before I go on about my marks, let me explain something to you about England. In Years 10 and 11, students are split into two groups: higher and foundation. The higher students are usually those that go on to university or demonstrate an ability to understand and do the work. Foundation possibly aim for college or trades. They are placed in these groups depending on results they get on tests (GCSE's). Higher students aim for A*, A, B, and no less than C grades. For foundation, the highest mark they can achieve is a C, followed by D, E, F, and G. However, when giving a test to the separate groups, Higher students are said to achieve their respective grades if they get the following percents on the test: A* - 82 or higher, A: 63-81, B: 48-62; C: 31-47; D: 19-30; E: 9-18. Foundation students would receive a different test and their grades are achieved as follows: C: 63 or higher; D: 50-62; E: 37-49; F: 23-36; G: 10-22. So, a student in higher can still achieve a B grade if they get 50% on their test, and a foundation student can only achieve a C for an 80% on their test.

With all this in mind (and understanding that there are 9 groups in year 10 - 3 in the higher tier and 6 in the foundation - this group being the last of the 6 groups), I had 3 students who achieved a C, 2 that got a D, 4 that got E, 4 with F, and only 1 with G. The sad thing is, I am VERY HAPPY about these grades! Last time, I had most of my students with an F or G. But the sad thing is, I had to review all the this stuff a couple of time and keep reminders on the board to help them achieve these grades. What's even worse, even though I gave them these tests, it doesn't go towards anything! Their "true marks" come from their official GCSE exams they sit in March, June, and November.

2) A "funny" story, there was a student in Nike's class (year 7) who was sent out of the class for crawling around the floor, disrupting the learning of others, and doing the "worm". When she brought him back into the class to talk to him about his behaviour, she said that it wasn't appropriate to go around the classroom doing the worm. He responded with, "that wasn't the worm, but this is" as he moved his hips like he was playing with a hula-hoop and pointing to his lower appendage. Needless to say, she had to try hard to refrain from laughing.

3) On Thursday, I had 3 students in my year 8 class who chose to make inappropriate comments or egg each other on, disrupting the rest of the lesson or showing disrespect to me. I sent the 3 students out then spoke to the three students after class, using what little voice I have at the moment. I told them I was disappointed in their behaviour and I've had it...they will have an hour learning catch-up with me on Tuesday/Wednesday. However, they still didn't get off from there. They were to follow me to the maths office and they each called their mom (or grandmother in one case) and had to tell them what they did in class and why they would have an hours detention next week. The look on their face when they did it was priceless!

P.S. I wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU!!! to all of you who have sent me postcards and Christmas cards the past couple of weeks/months. They definitely have brightened up my days here! So, again, a heart-felt thanks!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! The countdown is on!! In a week, everything will be back to normal! For now..

    ReplyDelete