Well, as the season goes, December wouldn't be December without me getting sick. I have been fighting a cold/flu the past 5 days...but no worries, it is getting better (fingers crossed). Besides, I'd rather be sick now before I go home then when I go home.
Anyway, yesterday (Saturday) was the first time I'd gone out of the house in 2 days, so I definitely took advantage of the nice weather. The girls and I also went to our local "Pound Stretcher" to pick up our Christmas ornaments and tree to get into the spirit. We picked up a "6-foot" tree that claimed to be full. It also claimed to be 6-feet, but much like men who exaggerate about their length, so too did the advertisers exaggerate about it's height and it's girth. For those of you who are familiar with our early-years family Christmas tree, you will appreciate it when I say that the tree was anorexic and needed to be filled with many ornaments (think the Charlie Brown Christmas tree).
Anyhoo, tree and ornaments in hand, we made our way home and began to get into the "spirit". How? We began by making hot chocolate and watching Christmas movies on TV (they have two Christmas channels that play Christmas movies on the hour, every hour...awesome! Too bad they are made-for-TV movies, not movies I enjoy like "White Christmas"...but it will do). With fairy-tale happy endings, Christmas carols, and hot chocolate in our veins, we threw in a mixed Christmas CD in Nike's laptop and began to assemble our Christmas tree.
With it, we began to talk about our Christmas traditions and our "roles" back home when it comes time to putting up decorations. For example, in my house, I am known for putting up the garland on our railing (which will look fabulous this year with dad's newly completed hard-wood stairs). That's what I love about the holidays. All the small things that come together that continue to add to tradition and the story that is our family. Yes, it can be a pain in the backside at time, but at the same time, it is those feelings that help to make the holiday is meaningful as it is. Heck, making our family's Christmas Pie wouldn't be the same without the yelling that takes place at some point in the process of making it. LOL. It's just part of who we are.
Even though I am "across the pond" I just hope that everyone at some point in the coming weeks takes a deep breath and breathes in all those little things (sounds, scents, feelings, etc.) that come together to help you appreciate the season for what it was meant to be...bringing together family and friends. I know that I definitely appreciate the season all the more now that I am so far away from my family and friends. That being said, two weeks today and I will be back home...so be prepared!!!!
'Tis the season!
P.S. Thank you Mark and Cat for the fabulous card and pics from the wedding. It definitely made my day!
P.P.S. Happy Birthday Mrs. B!
No comments:
Post a Comment