Friday, 23 April 2010

It's Friday!!!

Well, I've survived the week back at school. I've had multiple students ask me why I wasn't stuck in Canada (should I be offended?), another asking me if it's true that a Canadian math teacher had died (as Jen didn't show up at school - being stuck due to the flight situation), another student talking about his "personal" regime at home every morning (motions included), and the traditional throwing pencils and other math tools across the room...I guess you can say everything is back to normal ;)

I ended my week with a lesson with my year 10's...using different coloured fruitella to figure out probability. It went well, except that their assignment was completed in 5 minutes, then they didn't want to do anything but eat their sweeties and throw wrappers at each other. It made for an interesting lesson...right...

Let me also mention that, regarding the volcano issue, NO we were not covered in ash, and besides regular pollen issues, asthma attacks have not been above the norm. We did have about 7 teachers away, including Diane (our VP in charge of the English, Maths, and Science departments).

She arrived back today and, after a quick hello, went right back into asking what our decision was for next year ("our" meaning Jen and I). Jen, without hesitation, said that she would be back. I told her that as it stands right now, it is a yes...but there is still a chance I'm going home. She didn't like that answer, but said we'd talk. Not 20 minutes later, after Jen and I made our way to the maths office for something, Diane came in again and asked us those same questions - with Martin in the room. Again, Jen said she'd be willing to sort out the contracts then. I told her the same thing I told her before. She responded that she needed to get my answer basically by next week as it needs to get sorted and then she said, again, we'd have to talk. (Meanwhile, I tried to get a hold of her throughout the day when I was free and she was in a meeting or not in her office).

At the end of the day, after trying to find Diane before leaving for the weekend, I went up to Martin and told him that if they needed to know my answer as being 100% yes, I couldn't possibly give it to them, so I guess my answer was that no...I would not be back next year. He stopped, looked at me, and said, "I will not accept that answer". He said he could except my saying I couldn't give a definite answer...but to say I was not going to return he wouldn't accept. (He also mentioned he couldn't understand why Diane was being so hard about finding out now, as we really don't need to tell them until the beginning/middle of July...and was hopeful that I hadn't actually told Diane my decision).

So, there you have it...all up to date-ish.

No comments:

Post a Comment