Well, I had my first day back (this is the first 4-day week we've had since I've gotten here...well, except for the one we had just before Easter break - but then again even people in Canada had a 4-day week for that one).
Anyway, so I lost my favourite group of classes, and began my week with the infamous year 11 classes back-to-back. Needless to say that after the "long weekend" they didn't come back to class ready to do any work so I spent most of my time trying to avoid having pencils thrown at me and keeping some students awake.
I also didn't have to break up a fight...in my own class. However, I did have to help a situation that happened next door to my period 2 class involving some students who (for some unknown reason) began a fight in lesson and there were teachers trying to pull them apart. I went to help out where I could, but soon had to go usher my students back into lesson to get away from all the chaos. I'd like to say no teachers were hurt in the process...but...
My last class of the day consisted of my high 10 class. I do enjoy them overall, but sometimes I wish they'd stop talking and just get to work or listen to me teach. These past couple of weeks have been harder keeping them on track. We will see if they smarten up when I have to give them a test next week. (oh wait, it's not a "proper test" that counts towards anything, so I'm thinking not).
Now...for the reason I have entitled today's blog "My Hero". I was putting away folders at the end of the day, when I saw something move along the floor by my desk. At first, I thought it was a piece of fluff or something, but then I realized that it was still moving and had a very hairy body and legs. It was a spider of some sort that was about 2-3 inches in size. After a mini freak-out, I went to try and get it onto a piece of paper to then put outside my window, but as soon as it touched the paper and I began to move it, he started to scurry even faster. It was then that Jack, one of my year 7s, appeared in my room for chess club. I told him why I was cowering from the object of my fear - almost sitting on the tables to avoid it. I asked him if he was afraid of spiders or if he could help out. He began by trying my own technique, but quickly saw the problem with it. Within seconds, he used part of my sharpener and the paper to collect the spider and get it outside...all unscathed. I was quite impressed and rewarded him with a couple mini-cream eggs mom brought me from home. I can now rest in peace! Thanks Jack!
Again, too much reading!! MY EYES! :)
ReplyDelete