So, I think I've mentioned things about Jen before on my blogs, about some of the dramas she's called upon herself or how she's treated others...but today, I got slammed with her wrath...and I need to vent.
She was getting observed today by the VP (the first time she's actually been observed teaching since she's been at the school) and had found out on either Monday or Tuesday. The day she found out, she told Laura, Amy and myself separately and told us not to tell anyone because she didn't want anyone to know besides who she told. It was her decision so I respected that - even if I didn't quite understand it - but whatever. The next day from when she told me, it came up in conversation at home with Nike and on a separate occasion last night with Krista. When it did, I asked where they had heard that from. I then asked that if it got back to her, could they please tell her that I didn't tell them. (It turns out that Nike overheard when Jen was telling Laura about it in the computer room, and that Jen had told Krista herself). If you add all these people up, everyone in the department practically knew besides the Johns and Gil.
I go into all that because this morning, Jen came into my room and went up to Laura (who had come by to get me for coffee and so that we could do an assignment for Martin) and asked her not to tell anyone about being observed as she didn't want it getting around. I (in hind sight) stupidly told her, "You know everyone already knows, right?" She got a look of terror on her face and wanted to know how that was possible, then wanted to attack Krista for telling - even though there was no proof and nor was she implied...Jen had just jumped to that conclusion. I told her that I don't know how it got around, but I think others had heard her tell others, and she starting getting more riled up. I then made my second dumb mistake: I responded with, "Jen, what does it really matter if people know?" That was it. Any stress she was feeling instantly turned into anger and she began yelling at me. She was about to storm out the room to avoid the conversation after she verbally attacked me, but I calmly walked to my door and closed it (so that the few students trickling in didn't hear the one-sided, loud conversation taking place). Laura eventually stepped in when she realized that me saying things to her was not helping.
In the midst of this, Martin stood at the door, looking in the window. When Jen realized he was there, he quietly opened the door, apologized for interrupting, and asked if he could borrow a set of keys for the storage cupboard just outside my room. He left, as I gave him my keys, and when the door was closed behind him, Jen continued with her ranting. He returned, trying to plug his ears while opening the door and saying "la, la, la" so as not to interrupt the conversation or eavesdrop. Shortly after that, I left the room with my books and sat in the canteen until I was joined by Laura. I apologized for leaving, but she agreed with me that it was best that I left. I went on with my day.
Jen eventually did apologize (sort of) for her reaction. For me, I just let it go because I really can't be bothered with her anxieties at the moment. What continues to bother me, though, is her lack of professionalism and the fact that she is unaware that her behaviour is inappropriate. I've tried talking to her about it, but it's not sinking in. I wish someone higher up would.
Any suggestions???
No comments:
Post a Comment