Saturday, May 29
I began my week off on the Saturday: saying good-bye to my roomies (who are also in Scotland for this term holiday), getting my bags packed, cleaning the house, emptying the garbage, calling and waking up Katie to wish her a Happy Birthday...that kind of thing; then made my way to the train station and then to Gatwick airport. After taking a shuttle bus to the hotel I would be staying at (Premiere Inn), changing my room for one that didn't smell of paint and new carpeting, I had the chance to relax and nap until I met up with Katie who would fly in Sunday morning at 6.
Sunday, May 30
After flying across the pond on her birthday, Katie's plane touched down just after 6, and she was out of security and with bags by about 6:40 (not bad). I greeted her with a hug and her requested bottle of Coke and Dairy Milk bar, and we made it to the shuttle bus. We got back the hotel room where, after some conversation, she tried to sleep and I decided to take a nap (I got the better rest apparently). We eventually went to the hotel restaurant for her birthday dinner, took a walk around the hotel near the airport (where she spotted quail), then watched "Britain's Got Talent" before getting some rest for our next day's journey.
Monday, May 31
Although it was technically a Bank Holiday here (though why, no one has been yet to tell me. In fact, when I ask, people look at me strangely and ask why do I care; it's a day off), stores were still open. Katie and I made it to St. Pancras station then to a McDonald's for a quick breakfast (why I rely on McD's as part of every journey I make is strange...but true). We finally make our way on the train where we sit by a mother and daughter who constantly talk and who's laugh was annoying. For the first time in my life, I listened to music while I tried to read my book (The Time Traveller's Wife)...it was the only way to kind of block them out.
We arrived in Edinburgh about 4 hours later, then found our way to our hotel (a Best Western). After settling in a bit, we decided to go out and about - first looking for food at a restaurant called "Frankenstein's" (amazing food and service was good). We then took a walk-about in the area, aiming for the castle. We took some pictures, spoke to a nice gentleman who worked in the area as security, then headed back to the hotel for the night.
Monday, June 1
We began our day as every person should: with a hearty breakfast (okay, that was just me...Katie had a bowl of cereal) then we made our way into the city centre via another route (towards the grassmarket). We got some great photos of the castle from below, then went up quite a few steps, eventually ending up by the castle. We first went to the mill to check out the store and so that I could ask some questions about a tour I had arranged for us for Tuesday (to the highlands and Loch Ness). After some time there, we made our way to the castle, where we spent most of our day (large area, lots to see, many pictures were taken).
Once we were spent from that, we made our way to a local pub to grab a meal, checked out some souvenir shops, then headed back to the hotel where we then got everything in order for Katie's trip to France beginning on Sunday. I tried to sleep, but found it difficult (maybe because of the excitement of the tour).
Will update later...
No comments:
Post a Comment