Thursday, 12 November 2009

Crazy Week!

Hello all,

I feel as though things have just been very busy this week. The year 11s are back in full swing. Okay, well they will be as of next week - so the two weeks we've been spending on revising (and hence not a lot of planning) are now over and we are back to the text book work...yay??? The year 8s are driving me nutty...but then again, who really enjoys a group of 12 year olds who, in 80 minutes, let you teach for MAYBE 20 minutes...the rest of the time is spent trying to get them to be quiet. My year 7s also had a near fist fight in my room (I figured it was bound to happen sooner or later as every other maths class has had some form of a fist fight in the class...but my year 7s are my best classes...yikes!).

As well, we had parent/teacher night last night...giving me a late night at school. The one thing I can say about these interviews is that it only takes about 5 minutes (especially since you are only teaching one subject). It was quick and relatively painless...at least for me. One student got reamed out by his parents right in front of me and I had to try and "reinterpret" what the parents were saying (their concern for his future). However, with last night's late night, I woke up this morning not wanting to really get up and feeling like I never left school.

Keep your fingers crossed that I survive tomorrow! (How many weeks until Christmas???)

Interesting Fact:
There are many interesting names for Walkers Crisps (and crisps in general). Here are some of the more interesting names...

1) BBQ Rib (they taste like our BBQ flavour..but of course have to give it a different name)

2) Ready Salted (because plain just isn't good enough a name)

3) Cheese and Onion/ Sour Cream and Chive (they taste like sour cream and onion)

4) Worcester Sauce (they taste kind of like all-dressed)

5) Turkey and Stuffing (tastes like oven-roasted chicken...which has only begun to find it's way to Ontario from the maritime provinces)

6) (my personal favourite) Prawn Cocktail (*which they don't call shrimp "shrimp" but "prawn"; they taste like all dressed but more vinegary)

The other thing they like to do on their packaging for crisps is write a story of how the flavour came to be. For Prawn Cocktail, the story is as follows (and I'm NOT making this up...I'm typing it from the empty package in front of me):

For those spuds who like to be beside the seaside, our lip-smacking sweet and saucy Prawn Cocktail is the only flavour for them. And although we normally like our potatoes to be good natured and 'down-to-earth', when it came to competing to get into this bag of Walkers crisps, we went for the ones that were the most 'shell-fish'!

(More crisp stories to follow...so stay tuned!)

No comments:

Post a Comment