Saturday, 7 November 2009

Big Ben got it's name for a reason...LOL

Okay, so there wasn't much to report on my week at school (besides my moments of feeling very British). I survived the year 11s...even with the VP observing one of my classes...who knew? (Okay, so one student ended up in a fight in another class...but that came to my attention WAY after the fact). Then, for Friday, I had my year 10s pretty much busy doing work for the day - even if they had to sit a test that took up part of my time with them during period 3.

Anyway, the whole week I was debating with myself whether or not to go to London today. The reason for the debate is that I actually have the opportunity to go to London in a couple weeks for 12 pounds (raising money to help a co-worker's daughter's trip with her netball team (to go to Canada...LOL). As the train to London from Kettering cost about 37 pounds (at the very least) 12 is definitely a bargain...so did I really want to go two times in one month? The answer is...YES!!!

I woke up this morning and saw how beautiful the day seemed to be (unlike last weekend), I couldn't say no. So, I made my way to the train station about about 10:50 - making the train that arrived 6 minutes from that point. When I got to the station, I also found out that my ticket included transportation on the tube and any of the city buses (excluding the site-seeing ones, of course). That was awesome!

When I got to St. Pancras, I got a lot of help from one of the workers there - who directed me as to the best stations to get out of to do site-seeing. (Just so you know, we complain in Toronto when they close down when they close down the major highways...imagine when you get told that some of the tube lines are not functioning this weekend...it was SCARY. Lucky for me, all the lines I needed were functioning). I got out at the first station she mentioned along the Piccadilly Line - called Covent Gardens - and was directed to either taking a lift to the street or to climb the stairs. As I didn't want to get in the long queue to take the lift, I decided to take the stairs...No one said HOW MANY stairs there were. I lost track - especially as it was a spiral staircase (making me dizzy) and I had to rest after climbing the first 4 or 5 "flights". There wasn't even an indication if we were half-way to the top. I only knew I was close when a couple of people ahead of me got to a point where they yelled, "whoo-hoo"and I new that I was nearing the summit of my climb. And BOY was it good to see daylight again, LOL.

I found myself in a place equivalent to the St. Lawrence market...but to the nth degree. It was really neat and bustling with people. I stopped off at Ben's Cookies and bought a homemade chocolate chip cookie and milk (Santa would be in heaven). I then decided to take a stroll and see if I could find my way to anything that looked like what I had seen on TV the previous night (as I watched Bride and Prejudice which took place in London as well as India). With a brief stop at a Starbucks (believe me, when you haven't seen one for a while, it is NICE to treat yourself to a gingerbread latte that you sip along the streets of London), I then found myself at the top of Trafalgar Square and facing a HUGE Canadian flag. I felt like I was at home!!! (okay, except for all the crazy beautiful buildings that surrounded me).

After going camera crazy, I began trying to decide which way I wanted to go - aiming for the London Eye. An older gentleman then approached me and asked if I was looking for something in particular. He sensed, obviously, that I was a tourist and guided me to places I could go - suggesting that I first go to see the changing of the guards at the guard horse palace. He then directed me to where I should walk (along the River Thames) and then down to Big Ben, over to Westminster Abbey, then through St. James Park to Buckingham Palace. That is basically what I did - finding the parliament buildings as well that were crazy big and beautiful (see Facebook pictures for samples of some pics I took). What I did enjoy, as well, was the Remembrance Day Poppy Field that was displayed on the grounds of Westminster. It really affected me to see the rows and rows of small wooden crosses containing poppies and soldier names covering the grounds of the church.

I eventually found myself in St. James Park and walked along the pond until I got to Buckingham Palace. Imagine my upset when I finally got to the gates and tried to take pictures of the guards when my camera battery died (I KNEW I should have charged my camera before I went to London...too bad I realized that when I was on the train there). Well, it was beautiful, and when I go back I will then get to take more pictures.

It was a great afternoon and I found my way back to Kettering with no trouble (yay me!!!) When I got back, I had to do grocery shopping then downloaded all my photos on the computer (as well as charge my camera for my next adventure).

It was a GREAT Saturday!!! (And now, I'm heading to bed.)

2 comments:

  1. So when are we going to London? BTW, there's no Canadian Embassy in London but rather a Canadian High Commission..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stand corrected...either way, it was a taste of home and it definitely made me smile!

    Oh, and we'll go when you get you butt over here!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete