Tuesday, 26 January 2010

Jelly Bracelets Mean What???

Yesterday, I saw a student with some jelly bracelets (you know, those colourful plastic bracelets EVERYONE wore in the 80's - and were worn by people like Madonna). I mentioned to the boy that I remembered wearing those when I was younger. He then offered me one and I wore it for the rest of the day. I also decided to wear it today at school...and that's when I found out the shocking news.

My year 11 students noticed the bracelet and said, "Miss, you have a shag band?" I asked them what that was and they pointed at my wrist. I asked them what it meant, and they were hesitant to tell me, only telling me to google it. The only thing they'd tell me is that the colour of the band means something and that it means something else if you get someone to snap it.

So, of course, I was curious. I looked it up and found an Urban dictionary that gives the meaning behind the bracelets...including colour. Check it out for yourself at www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shag+bands. Needless to say after seeing the meaning, I will NOT be wearing mine to school anymore. (Oh, by the way, my shag band was purple).

Another related story-ish...my student had his mobile on or something in class because it began to vibrate and a student said that his masturbater was on...I had to pull the student outside and explain to him why it was inappropriate to make that comment. (He didn't quite understand how that could be bad, especially since the name of the "ring" was called that...the masturbater).

And, a not so funny story - one of my year 11 students today asked me what the date was for Valentine's Day. I asked her did she mean the day of the week? And she said, no...the DATE. I looked at her and tried not look at her like "Are you kidding me?" as I told her it was Feb. 14. She said she thought it was either the 16th or the 12th...she SERIOUSLY didn't know.

2 comments:

  1. That totally explains why this kid in my class (who ALL the girls have had a crush on) has three of these bands.
    Hmmmm..... will look up the colours on the bands tomorrow. Do you think Grade 7's might not actually know what they are?
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So THAT's what 'Go for the Gold' means...

    ReplyDelete