Saturday, 9 January 2010

Part 2 - The Weekend/First Days Back

To start with, I wasn't originally going to put this into a 3 part series (or whatever...I'm not done yet, so I don't quite know how many parts I will write) but as I was writing the first part, I realized that I was pressed for time. I had to go grocery shopping, have lunch, and get all bundled up before going to my first rugby match...so I'd better get on my day. This part will likely be shorter than the last, as I'm still pressed for time (waiting to go for the game...but more on that in another entry).

January 2-3

I am still not used to writing 2010...but then again, who is so early in the stage. Our house was very strange - but good strange - this weekend. Saturday, we each spent the day in our own locations (the two girls each in their respective bedrooms, and myself in the lounge) doing our own thing the whole day. For the girls, it was watching Bones or other forms of entertainment, and for myself, it was finishing the book "Dead Until Dark" which I purchased on a whim as it is what the True Blood TV series is based on. Don't run out and purchase the book, the writing is just about as good as the acting in the TV show (which isn't saying much), but I have to say for a vacay book, it was quite enjoyable.

Sunday, I was joined by Jen as I went to church and then we went to Cafe Bistro for brunch. It was nice finally getting to share a morning meal with a friend on a Sunday morning, although it can never compare to the times back home with Cat, Mark and sometimes John...so don't worry. But, it was nice all the same. Afterwards, we walked around town, window shopping, just general relaxing...stretching the time before we arrived home. The reason is simple: When I begin teaching, I am a "teacher" from the time I arrive home after church on a Sunday until I arrive home on Friday night. The rest of my Friday, all day Saturday, and the beginning part of Sunday is my own time...and I like to cherish that time when I can. I know that it might not seem like something we should do...teaching is my job and shouldn't be my life...but let's be realistic, it does take over from September to (in this case) July (which is why I'm thankful for the breaks in between). That being said, I do know I can go to work and be home by 6 and try to shut off the teacher part of me - which is something I hope to take with me when I come home again to teach.

Anyhoo, when I got home, I did realize how bad Krista was feeling. See, Saturday, when she came home from shopping, she said she wasn't quite feeling like herself and was kind of dragging herself...or at least slower than her busy bee self. On Sunday morning, she texted me (from her room) to ask if I could get her some Sprite for her tummy. She was sick all day Sunday and decided NOT to come into work on Monday. This isn't a bad thing, as we just had a training day and wouldn't require us to teach.


January 4-6

As Nike and I were at work on Monday, it was nice to greet everyone with a Happy New Year and recount our stories about our holiday. We met our new Head Principal who, although lacking public speaking skills, seems to have a real vision for the school that he wishes to follow - starting with having individual meetings with each teacher in the next month, as well as with every year 11 student.

After breakfast, we had our department meeting with our new head of Department - Martin. He had us sitting around a makeshift conference table and facilitated a discussion trying to get to know us and our new member - Amy (who is also from Canada - New Brunswick - and came over with her boyfriend, Bruce, who will be teaching in the primary school attached with our Secondary school). It was a good meeting and although I am still trying to put my feelers out as to what Martin is like and what that means for us, I was impressed with the fact that he is the FIRST person to acknowledge the fact that I am NOT a newly qualified teacher (henceforth written NQT)...even if I am new to the British system.

Martin asked to speak with me individually for a few minutes, and when it did happen, his first question was what my plans were for the next year. I told him to be completely honest, it depends how things go. Of course, he wished for clarification, and I said that as it stands right now (based on things up until today) things haven't quite looked as good as it might have sounded before I came. I also expressed the fact that I am a Primary qualified teacher, and that might explain some of my hesitation with some of the things that happen in this setting, but I really feel it was a lack of direction and leadership. I did say, however, that now that we have a new head, and a new principal, I feel that things may have turned in a more positive light - but I have to give it time to find out. He admitted the reason he asked was because he knew I wasn't a new teacher and would like me to be a liaison between the NQT's and himself, should they need it. He feels it would look good on me to make it official..especially with others in the school (which I can only assume is Diane). I was definitely flattered, as well as being taken aback, but accepted - although I don't know how my roomies will feel about it.

While Martin went to tell the NQTs about my role, along with letting them know that as a department we will be having our own NQT meetings every Thursday to see how they are doing - with questions, wanting to vent, cry, whatever - I went to my room to get things organised before lunch. I found out later that at this meeting, Nike said to Martin that maybe he should consider inviting me to the meetings as well. Martin told her that I wasn't technically a new teacher. She said something about me doing supply work (which Jen corrected) and that I still felt like a new teacher her because of the school system, leading Martin to say that he would ask (which he eventually did, but also made it a point to mention that I am not obligated to go unless I want to). When I heard what Nike said (which she also repeated at home when she told Krista about the meeting she missed while trying to recover from her stomach bug at home), I was sure to correct Nike on her mistake - I did NOT supply but have been teaching for FIVE years - where she got that notion, I don't know. My only hope is that Martin doesn't believe that comment or if he questions it, he check my CV. I am still irked at the implication...can you tell? However, one other note of mention, when Nike did relay the meeting to Krista, she also DIDN'T mention Martin's comment about me being the person they can come to if they had a question for Martin and didn't feel that they could go to him. (Hmmm...)

Anyway, with that day over (spending the rest of the afternoon at school putting things in order for Tuesday) I went home to make a lovely steak meal and try to finish reading my next book: "Have a Little Faith" (Mitch Albom - thanks for letting me know about it, Deb). But, that's when things began to go wrong. My stomach began getting queasy, and I had trouble just trying to relax /sleep. Tossing and turning, I eventually found out, as I quickly hoofed it to the bathroom, that Krista's bug was transferred to me.

The long and the short of it is that I was unable to get to school for the first two days with the students and I was struggling on Thursday to be able to eat ANYTHING for fear of what would happen and because my stomach wasn't feeling agreeable at all. Not a good way to start the term - although I lost teaching my year 11s for the week as I was bed ridden (so there are some pluses, LOL).

No comments:

Post a Comment