Okay all you people who have been making your snide comments about me not regularly writing in my blog...I get the hint. I do have much I would like to write, but as every day life seems to get in the way, I haven't been able to make the time. However, I will try to be more consistent with my entries - especially for those that I am unable to speak with on a regular basis. But WATCH OUT!!! This entry will be a doozey - updated you on much since I landed across the pond to where I am right now - sitting at my dining room table typing this entry for you. So be prepared - make yourself a cuppa, curl up with your snuggy (I know I do - thanks mom), and continue to be amazed at all that has happened in a week and a half!
December 30/31 - "The Flight"
I found myself sitting at the airport able to fill the time with a bubble game - similar to Tetris...damn my OCD with having to get levels completed and achieving a badge...I will one day be able to win! When we finally began to board the plane, I quietly got in line when they made the first call for economy class, even if the row they called was not my own (something you can't get away with in England, by the way) and I found my way on the plane. This time, I had an aisle seat - yay...freedom to get up whenever I wanted! (Unlike my 8.5 hour ride home beside a long-legged guy who NEVER got up). However, I have to say sitting beside a woman who didn't smell the best and who prayed THE WHOLE FLIGHT was beyond unnerving. Don't get me wrong, I have my faith, but I don't pray under my breath or loud enough that a person can hear (even with ear buds in) because, I don't know, it might make another person feel uncomfortable? Still, I busied myself by watching the episode of Big Bang Theory that had me holding back tears of laughter on the ride home for Christmas, along with a couple movies (Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - awesome!; Slept through "The Christmas Story"; then FINALLY got to watch Momento, only to land in London with still 26 minutes left to view :( I should have given up that Big Bang Theory episode, but hind sight is 20/20).
Okay, so we landed...then had to spend a longer than normal amount of time in line to go through customs and then on to baggage. It was from there that I made my way out in the airport of my "second home" and just went out to get some fresh air. It was about 7:20 in the morning and I know I can't check into my hotel until at least 12...but all I wanted was to stretch then get to bed. I found the tourist information booth and purchased my ticket for the airport shuttle to my hotel - Jurys Inn, then had to wait for it to arrive. One thing you can say for the British is that they are prompt. I was waiting for the bus that was to leave at 8am (as they run every 40 minutes) and I was beginning to lose hope when it arrived spot on 8, picked me up, then went on its way. It was like having my own person limo bus (ha! Just like at my sister's wedding...except just for me. Okay, so there was no champagne or leather seats or personal toilets but hey, it's a start).
Upon arriving at the hotel, I went to the front desk and asked if there was a room at all available - even though I knew it would be a long shot. The funny thing was that if I hadn't already told Jen and her friend who came to London to visit that they were welcome to come stay at the hotel with me for New Years, I could have had the room with a single bed in it. Oh well, the lovely person behind the desk said she'd let me know when there was a room made available, and in the meantime store my luggage so that I could relax in the lounge. So, I had to waste time and what do you think I did...you guessed it...FOOD!!!!
I did leave the plane with a nauseous feeling in my tummy (due to the horrible airplane food - which I haven't had to complain about until now), so that might not have been the BEST choice, but I did go to the restaurant anyway. It was a "all-you-can-eat" buffet. This also meant, for me, that I could sit there as long as I liked and take my time...which is exactly what I did - always with food or drink in front of me, along with my book. A couple hours there, another hour playing on my DS in the hotel lounge and then FINALLY (at 12 o'clock) I found myself in my room on the 5th floor.
It was in my room that I realized...CRAP!!! I didn't pack a pair of PJs (as I knew I had them both in Toronto and in Kettering) and that I realized that I didn't know where my toothbrush was (although I did have toothpaste). I didn't think anymore of it as I crawled into bed and my head hit the pillow...but I did think about it when I woke up 4 hours later and took a shower before meeting up with Jen and her friend Karyn (pronounced "car-in"). It was then that I had a brainstorm...Deb gave me a pair of warm jammies that I packed with me for my COLD nights in Kettering (THANKS a million) and I did have, if nothing else, a finger to use for a brush (as the store in the lobby was closed early for New Years)...so I could manage. YAY!!! Okay, more info than you needed, but oh well...
Anyway, I did meet up with the girls as they came and dropped off their bags from a day of sightseeing, then they freshened up before we made our way back into London for dinner. Our first stop - a Canadian pub called The Maple Leaf found down a street in Covent Garden (Nichole had also told me about this place when I was home for the holidays). We walked in and enjoyed the atmosphere - much like any other pub but with Canadian paraphernalia like hockey sticks, Blue Jays jerseys, Canadian beer bottles...but there wasn't an empty seat in the house. We promised ourselves that one day we'd return, but we were HUNGRY!!!! We made our way into the theatre district, after a stop at the "hole-in-a-wall", looking for a restaurant that was taking customers who HADN'T made reservations. I am even surprised that we found a place, the Angus Steak House, after strategically placing ourselves in both doorways and waiting patiently until a table became available. The food and drink were lovely, and the dessert (cheesecake of all things) was to die for...then again...I hadn't really eaten in a long time, so my memory or taste buds could be tainted.
From there, we followed the crowds (and signs) to the fireworks observation area. It was great to just go with the flow and open yourself to the experience of the evening, people slightly toasted with spirits, cheering as we had an hour or so until the countdown. We found ourselves on a bridge, able to view part of the London Eye, preparing ourselves for the big bang, trying to stay warm by moving and talking. When the time finally came, there were people opening bottles of champagne (spraying all around us), cheers and hugs, cells being pulled out to call our homes in early preparation for their own countdowns...overall, an amazing experience. Oh ya, and the fireworks were phenomenal! As the fireworks began to dissipate, we began to find our way to an underground station and back to the hotel. On our walk, it began to snow...it was very picturesque.
When we finally made our way to the hotel, we spent another hour or so talking, then off to dreamland we went. I did, however, wake up at 5am to call my family and friends to wish them a Happy New Year.
New Year's Day
We woke up and were ready to begin our day around 10 - where I found myself again at the breakfast buffet...but this time not alone. We ate as much as we could before we checked out and asked to have our bags put in the holding area so that we could make our way back into London for a bit of sightseeing.
We first went to the London Eye. This is something I had been hoping to do since I made my way into London in November, but didn't want to do it alone. It was also early enough in the day that I didn't feel like I was wasting my time in queues (and believe me, you haven't seen a queue until you've seen this one) when I could be walking about exploring. So, if you go to the Eye, do it early or realize that is the majority of what you will be doing that day. Anyhoo, after over an hour of lining up, we finally got to board these weird pods, making our way up and getting a wonderful birds-eye-view of the city. We took tons of pictures, I only hope they come out through the glass and with all the sunlight - it was a beautifully bright day to go. When the ride was complete, we made our way back on the tube to go to the Natural Science Museum - where admission is free.
We were greeted in the lobby with a big dinosaur skeleton, which is apparently the first time Jen has EVER seen a dinosaur skeleton in person. We went through the dinosaur exhibit, which was an interesting maze but began with a view from a catwalk suspended above the exhibit (what an amazing use of space!). The architecture of the building itself, along with the displays was amazing...and when we have more time, I hope to return. As it was, we began to realize we hadn't had anything to eat since breakfast and it was now past 5pm. We soon found ourselves in a little Chinese buffet worth every bit of the 5 pounds we paid (which isn't saying much).
Trekking back to the hotel to pick up our bags, then back to King's Cross for our train into Kettering, much time was used in travel. We finally found ourselves back home by about 9:30pm.
After spending some time talking to my roomies, getting caught up on their holidays and such, I found my way back in my room with my luggage and unpacking all those supplies I brought with me. Bed was definitely my friend.
(To be continued...)
No comments:
Post a Comment