Saturday, 16 January 2010

Red, red wine...

Hello all!

What can I say about the rest of my week? The classes came and went - only one learning catch-up to write a report about...but I knew this one was coming. Besides that, there weren't many stories to share. The most interesting comment that was made by my students was that I had 3 of them this week ask me what I looked like without my glasses, and one who - as I was in the middle of a lesson - asked me why my hair was so curly (to which I responded, "because God gave me curly hair"...not wanting to explain about chromosomes during the lesson).

However, that isn't to say that nothing of interest happened. I found out that the two girls who came with us from the agency in August but are working in the English department (and who were all over each other during the staff Christmas party) apparently made a move on a married man the same night as the party...don't you just love gossip?

Also, I have been mentioning in my other posts that Martin has been giving me more responsibility and coming to me about taking more courses - eventually hoping I would help to train others in the department. I don't know if it is because he and I share the same view of the curriculum/scheme of work at the school or because I am the most qualified (experience wise) and wants to keep me. However, he has thrown something else at me after school on Friday. Apparently our school will be advertising for the position of second head in the maths department and "that's all I (he) could say". I thanked him for telling me, but I think he thought I didn't know what he was implying...so he went on to say that he wouldn't be opposed to me putting in my application for the job - implying he would like me to go for it. The question is, what do I do? Is it just for the year, or does this mean that they will need a commitment for longer. I really don't know what to do about it. I believe I can see out this year - especially now that I feel like we are being supported. But as to whether or not I can add another year onto my stay here...I don't know. I miss my family and friends back home. At the same time, I have to find out what is going on with my board, and I won't find that out until later on in the year. In the meantime...what do I do?

(Maybe that's why I chose this evening to have brie, crackers, a bit of prosciutto and half a bottle of red wine for dinner...hmmm)


Interesting facts:

1) Bruce found out that students stripping down to change for PE is the norm in this school, so he's made the decision to leave instead.

2) If someone asks you if you play the fruit machine or the one armed bandit, they are referring to a slot machine.

3) Mail gets delivered extremely early on a Saturday morning (7:30), as my roomies realized when there was a knock at the door to deliver a package that belonged to me from Cat and Mark (Thank you for the journal, the "Whomp It" squeaking anvil, and the travelling gnome - as you can see from the gnome, I've already begun to have fun with it).

No comments:

Post a Comment