Yes, that is the nick-name Nike has given to our dislike of Tuesdays when we have double 11 Maths lessons. What is funny is that we gave our students a GCSE revision homework book - which I used to review all the work they completed in class when they had a supply (i.e. I had to reteach the lesson and didn't want to use the textbook)...and they actually DID work! They preferred to write in there workbooks rather than copy/complete questions from the textbook...go figure.
The other classes have gone by relatively well...but I sometimes feel like I, myself, am not inspired. This worries me...I don't want to become one of THOSE teachers, especially not so early on in my career. Yikes!!!
On top of this concern, I spoke in one of my recent entries that it has been refreshing to feel like I have a responsibility beyond teaching within the school. Martin approached me again, within the past couple of days, to talk about his vision for the department and future courses - making things more "real-life" based - which he knows is part of my vision. He has suggested I look into doing some training on teaching this kind of math, which I am absolutely interested in...but I feel hesitant. Do I really want to invest myself more into this school if I REALLY don't feel like I will be there for the next school year. It doesn't seem fair to the school to invest in my learning that way either...what do I do? I don't mind taking on more responsibility, helping to create newer and better programs in the school, but will I be there to see it truly implemented? I really feel like I'm stuck. Suggestions?
So Glad This Didn't Happen to Me...
I heard this story from Amy - the new Canadian to join our Maths department. Her boyfriend, Bruce, is teaching Year 5 at our adjoining primary school teaching all subjects. When it came time for PE, he told the students they needed to get ready for PE class, at which point all the students began to strip down to their skivvies to get changed for lesson. He was shocked (no kidding) and quickly turned around - so as not to get accused of anything (after all, this would NEVER happen back home). Confused, he went to the administration only to find out that this is normal. Hmmm...
Is it a single-sex school? My P1s did this in Scotland, too!
ReplyDeleteActually it is a co-ed classroom. The boys move to the front and the girls to the back of the room and then are expected not to look as they change. My friend's boyfriend has decided to leave the room and have the female TA deal with it.
ReplyDeleteThat's how it was while I was in Scotland. Apparently, this is normal over there.
ReplyDelete~Caro