Sunday, 4 October 2009

Adventures in Market Harbour

After doing my laundry and hanging them out to dry (and yes, it was dry in about 3 hours instead of the regular 2 days...even if the sun wasn’t really shining), I was getting to work on my Ottawa classes. I did eventually go into town to do a bit of shopping (I got myself a nice white, fluffy/soft robe! I am so excited...that along with some wool and knitting needles – I need a hobby outside of school). I also needed some cash for tonight’s festivities.

We decided to go to Market Harbour, a nearby town that costs £3.80 to go by train (a 10-minute ride), and were trying to be there for the local rugby game. Unfortunately, Mel had to wait for her washing machine and fridge to be delivered (as she has been living in a flat without one for over a month). Of course, it was to be delivered between 1 and 5, so the guy showed up by about 5:45 – no call to tell her they would be late. We missed the game which had started at 3:30, but we still met up with Big John and his girlfriend, Joanna at a Mexican restaurant for dinner. I was so excited that I got to eat fajitas for the first time in a long time, but they had nothing on Lone Star...although their prawns (i.e. shrimp) were amazing (as we shared starters). Joanna was lovely, and it was great finally putting the face to the name that John speaks so often of.

After dinner, they both took us around the town to a few different pubs and spots around town. First was The Oak Mill (a lounge-type bar that is celebrating Oktoberfest at the moment – so we asked Nike if she felt at home LOL). Apparently, it used to be called the Greyhound and was a real “dodgy” place in times past (including a picture of a head with blood dripping down from it as it’s “welcome” sign), but they have since refurbished it and now it looks lovely. Next, we went to The Cherry Tree, which has been around for many a century and apparently hasn’t changed much since (besides paint jobs and changing of furniture). I thought it was definitely a cute/quaint pub and loved how it made me feel extremely tall, as the low ceilings were high enough that my head didn’t touch it, but I certainly could if I wanted...and both Nike and John had to duck. John was very excited to show us this pub as it is his favourite, and it felt very homey.

We then went back into town, where John pointed out the oldest grammar school in town that still exists and is semi-functional (from 1614). After trying to take a few photos, we tried a couple of other places including The Red Cow and The Kings Head (which was across from a woman’s high end clothing store called “High Society”). The Red Cow was filled with older men, so John quickly took us out of there. The Kings Head had music and some people actually dancing, even if the girls were wearing 4-inch heels and a shirt for a dress. Although I still don’t like that part of the clubbing scene, I can’t deny it was pretty much like you would find in Toronto, just not as a crowded. The music was actually good, and if we hadn’t been with John and Joanna, we probably would have done some dancing. But, as the girls said on the taxi ride home, we felt like we were out with a parent making things feel awkward at times. That being said, I enjoyed just relaxing and chatting during that time, even if you had to yell to be heard.

After John and Joanna had enough, we made our way to a coffee bar (whose name escapes me). Although I was going to have a coffee at that point (as a glass of red wine with dinner and a cider at The Oak Mill had “done me in”), they informed us that the machine was turned off. So, we just sat at a table and chatted until we met with our cab around midnight and we made our way home.

It was definitely a lovely evening and we hope to go back to Market Harbour soon – especially during the daylight to see the sights and possibly do some shopping. We were also extremely glad to be out of Kettering for a change. (There IS civilization out there!)

[P.S. I had to e-mail the letting agent about the carpet that has tripped me again outside my bedroom and now our washing machine. One of the other girls tried doing load of laundry after I was done and the machine wouldn’t even attempt it...Looks like we might be going over to Mel’s like she would come over to ours to do our laundry for a while.]

Interesting Facts:

While out last night, we talked about funny phrases that are used that are different. For example:

1) If a student asks for a rubber, don’t feel like they are asking you a personal question (i.e. do you have a condom?) just pass them your pencil eraser...and no one gets hurt.

2) If you are asked if you wish to be “knocked up” in the morning, do not fear that in 9 months you will be with child, they are asking if you would like a wake-up call.

3) A crusty cob is not a cob of corn that has been dipped in batter and fried, but is the name for a dinner roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment