Technology is REALLY frustrating me. The wireless network we are paying for decides when it does and doesn’t want to work. I’ve been sick of fighting with it the past couple of days, so that’s part of the reason why I haven’t posted anything on my blog.
As for stories of the last couple of days, well...there really isn’t much to tell. Well...except for the fact that I slipped down the stairs again as I was on the second-to-last step, I wrenched my baby toe from the one beside it. I have a lovely purple bruise on my toe and I had a LOT of trouble walking yesterday when it happened. The plus side is that it happened yesterday morning. When we were getting ready to leave (i.e. walk to school), we realized it was pouring rain. We ended up taking a taxi to school (so I didn’t have to walk to school in agony...although the walk home wasn’t very good). This morning, my toe and foot felt better...even if the bruise has spread. No worries, folks...I will refrain from psyching you out with a picture of it ;)
As for student stories...what’s there to say? I gave a maths test to my students yesterday (my 11’s and 10’s). The “funny” thing was that 1/3 of my class was missing for other exams or things that “turned up” – as well as some being sick. Anyways, of the 2/3 that were there, ½ of them were coughing, sneezing, half asleep...you get the picture. Oh well, the test had to be given. The second period with these students, we were told that pictures would be taken of my students “at work”. I had to ask the lady, are you SURE you want to take pictures of my class. In the end, they played the part well (to which I told them, as the photographers were leaving, “Thank you for acting civilized for a couple of minutes, now can we get back to work.” The photographers found it hard to hold back their snicker...LOL)
By the way, does it make me sound bad that I’m happy that the next two weeks I will be void of the year 11s as they are going to their work study? Actually, I will be away from them for 3 weeks as the week after their work study, we have our vacation. Where’s vacay taking place, you might be asking. Well, Krista, Melanie, Ashley (from our Watford adventure), and I booked our flight to Dublin last night. It cost £30 return! Exciting!
Interesting Facts:
1) A student asked Melanie the other day, “Miss. Are you saving up all your money to take the train home this Christmas?” (They REALLY have no concept as to where Canada is geographically speaking).
2) Even students notice that the numbering sequence doesn’t make any sense here – numbering for houses, that is. On some streets, the numbers are like ours: odd on one side, even on the other. On others, the numbers go side by side in sequence. A student also told me how on their street they have houses that go: 4, 8, 6 – to which I can only think that between 4 and 6 there might have been a space where they then decided to fit a house.
3) My year 11 students have a fascination with imitating “Americans” during my classes – using such words as “beef jerky”, and “on the board” (I am assuming the last is their attempt at having a mick at me).
4) A “shit ticket” is another name for “toilet paper” (okay, I got that one from my roomies, but when I saw a novelty item with that name, I thought I’d share it)
5) You know how I’ve been trying to avoid wedding TV programs since Monica has overwhelmed us with viewing of similar programs at home. Well, she would be at heaven here...there is a whole TV station geared at these programs, called the Wedding Channel...yikes!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment