I guess I should just pick up where I left off... (Warning, I might come off more rude than I normally do...and for that, I am sorry I just need to vent)
Wednesday, October 28
We woke up at a "normal" time, as our train didn't leave until 11:30, we had to be checked out of the hostel by 10, and I had to go to the store that opened at 9:30...so we really weren't in a rush as we finished breakfast by 9am.
As we made our way to the train station, the girls mentioned that we would all head to the station then if some wanted to go out and look around/go for a walk, the others could leave watch the bags - so that they weren't trekking their things everywhere. It made sense, I guess, but I really wanted to attend mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Cork before we left (as it began at 10), so I told the girls I'd meet them at the station when mass was done. I was glad that I did because I got to go inside the beautiful church and compare it to the one I had gone to in Cobh the day before. It is interesting how similar in style they are, but the one in Cobh is much more elegant. Either way, you can see how the town centre around these places of worship.
Okay, so, after mass, I went to meet up with the girls - feeling tranquil (and hoping that the day would go well). Did I mention that I was sitting in a separate car from the rest of the girls for the train ride to Dublin? I thought it was odd that when we were securing our tickets at the internet cafe the previous night, they were having issues reserving seats together, but when I went to reserve mine (at the exact same time) I was able to get whatever seat I wanted. I had even chose a seat where there were 4 available around a table...just like we had on the way up to Cork. The girls didn't seem interested, so I was able to enjoy a calming train ride not worrying about their inside jokes or conversations/put-downs the whole way. It was actually really relaxing.
We got to Dublin, then made our way from the train station to the hostel - different from the last time and right in the centre of Temple Bar (the big pub district that is geared towards tourists - the place we were told to avoid if we wished to see the "real" Dublin). The receptionist was not very inviting, there was only one key for the room that we had to hand into the receptionist when we left, and when we went to the room (on the fourth floor and had no room to move within it), it smelled like really bad cleaning products. Needless to say, I was NOT impressed with this hostel. [Venting point: when I went to pay for my portion of the room, I had to try and get by the huge gym bag Krista had placed on the floor in front of me and the huge suitcase brought by Ashley...needless to say I almost fell - me with my coordination and it doesn't help to have a full backpack on my back. When I turned to leave to go up to the room, I asked Krista if she wouldn't mind moving the bag so I can get by, and she rolled her eyes and made a muffled comment about me going around another way...oh wait, there were PEOPLE in the way and besides, they were blocking my way. Common courtesy would be to move them.]
Anyway, once we brought up our bags, we went on our way to walk the town as the others went to purchase souvenirs (I purchased my throughout the trip...but not too many, so don't get your hopes up...LOL). I eventually parted from the girls as I had to grab a quick bite to eat for lunch. I say "quick" even if that wasn't the case. I went to this place called "Superburger" which is very similar to McDonalds or Burger King, but those places are actually fast food. I placed my order and the cashier told me it would take a couple minutes and to have a seat, where she then brought it to me. Anyway, I also didn't want anything too big because Christine, Ashley's friend that we met on Sunday, had offered to have us come to her parent's place for dinner and we were all invited. Out of the 4 of us, only Ashley and I ended up going.
Okay, back to the souvenir shopping. So, I met up with the girls at Carrol's - a massive Irish souvenir shop - and from there, Ashley realized that her card was denied. In the end, she was worried about not having enough funds, so we went to an ATM. Not getting any answers, Ashley began to freak out and decided to go back to the store and return some items to get back some of the money to be sure she had enough for her taxi the next morning. As she was stood there worried, the girls who had spent the whole trip with her didn't offer to help her out - they were on a mission to go to the information centre to get more gifts. I offered to go with her (as she can be directionally challenged and was obviously embarrassed) but eventually, we worked it out.
After a brief stop at the hostel to drop off the items of purchase, we made our way to the train station to then go to Christine's house. We got off at the station Christine told Ashley, but didn't know where to go from there. Luckily, a really hot Australian guy saw how lost we looked and helped us to find our way to the road where we we eventually met Christine...it was sweet!
Christine's parents were amazing and their house was so warm and inviting. I really felt like I was welcomed with open arms (it also helps that they love Canadians - as their son is married to one and lives in Ontario...where Ashley met and worked for him and hence how she came to know the family). We had a great home cooked meal (including: chicken, potatoes, grilled garlic, peppers, onions, green beans, beets, mango chutney, and salad with homemade dressing) and dessert (a custard with strawberries, slivered almonds, and raspberry ice-cream). Oh, did I mention I had 3 glasses of red wine. It was actually funny about the wine: I was offered something to drink when we got in the house and I asked for water. Christine looked at me and said: we have coke, juice, water, wine - and even though I said water again, she said "we have wine" and repeated it until I said, I'll have wine. LOL. Anyway, it was a great evening and Christine's parents drove Ashley and I back to the downtown and, with a quick hug and well wishes, we were on our way back to the hostel. It was a great ending to the day...until the next vent.
WARNING: VENT...We got back to the hostel and the guys at the desk gave us the key (which we thought odd because we thought the girls were staying in for the night...so they should have it). When we got to the room, the girls were there and we told them how the guys stopped us at the desk. Krista then looked at me and said, "didn't you get our text to say that the key was at the desk?" I now wished I had said, "obviously not", but I didn't and went to look at my phone to find the recently received message that she was referring to. Then, Ashley was getting her stuff put together as she had an earlier flight than us (by mistake, she booked the wrong flight). She was worried she'd miss the taxi, so she asked me if her cell alarm was on. I looked at it and saw the bell symbol - the sign for the alarm being on - and told her so. Krista then said, "well that's a good indication" and started laughing (which I felt that yet again she was really trying to make fun of one or both of us - something her and Mel had a tendency to do throughout the whole trip), so I said, "thank you, Captain Obvious" then turned back to Ashley and said, "Your alarm is on, so don't worry. (Krista didn't know how to react to the comment).
I saw that Ash was still worried, so I turned to her and said, "would you like me to put my alarm on my phone as well to be sure you get up on time?" (especially since with the noise of the streets below, having a solid sleep wouldn't be an option). Mel then chimed, "why would you be up" and laughed to herself. I ignored her comment and again told Ashley that my alarm was on as well, so there was nothing to worry about. (Just so you know, there wasn't anything to worry about...Ashley was woken up and made her flight on time...YAY!!!)
Thursday, October 29
Oh, I forgot to mention that when I got back from dinner the previous night, Krista and Mel said, "By the way, we've decided we are leaving for the airport at 8" - which caused us to miss breakfast at the hostel...meaning yet another meal I'd have to purchase at the airport...yay :( Again, another example of the fact that they felt majority ruled when it came to deciding what to do.
We got to the airport and I checked my backpack (I really didn't want to worry about it fitting into the compartment on the plane). We then had to get something to eat - obviously. We went our separate ways again and met up in the waiting area for our flight.
The flight itself was delayed, but the flight attendants were a lot nicer than when we first flew over. The guy who did the announcements had us in stitches and had us clapping when he went through the safety procedures. LOL...I will include some of his comments later.
Okay, so we got to the airport and picked up our luggage. We went through and the girls asked what we wanted to eat as we couldn't get on the train because of the type of tickets we had purchased. I said I'd meet them at the food court upstairs, as I wanted to get a couple items first. I topped up my phone, then went to the train information booth to find out what trains we were eligible to take. The attendant said we could take the train in 6 minutes, or the next one after that in 15. I thought, great! We can get home by 4'ish and can do some grocery shopping and laundry. So, I text-messaged Krista to tell her. With no response, I went up to meet them and told them the great news. She seemed as excited as I was, but then went to go get something to eat. When she finally came to sit down with her food, I thought she'd come with a take-away bag (as it was almost time for the train). She didn't. I asked if either of them were even going to try for the train, and they said no. So, I decided, screw it! I am going home. I told them I'd see them in Kettering and rushed to make the train. There was no problem with my ticket, and I got home by about 4:15. This gave me time to do all my laundry, grocery shopping, and make/eat my dinner before Krista got home.
When she got home (around 8), she asked what time I arrived. I told her the time and she asked if I paid more for my ticket to take that train. I said no. She asked if someone even checked my ticket, and I said yes. Still, she didn't believe me I guess, and said that they asked and were told they couldn't take the train until later. Oh well, sucks to be them, I got home with lots of time to relax on my own.
No comments:
Post a Comment