Sunday, Sunday... I woke up early this morning, my normal 8’ish for weekends (I really know how to sleep in, don’t I?). I went through my normal routine of showering, dressing, eating breakfast, getting work done, then going to church. (In case you were wondering, I DID have the young priest this week. I am starting to wonder if they rotate their priests among the Catholic churches in the near vicinities, especially with this priest who appears whenever they have the children’s choir singing).
Anyhoo, after church, I walked back home, instead of going for my routine walk around town and then out to brunch. The reason? I had told the girls I wanted to check out the other end of town and Nike and Melanie decided to do the same. Nike and I met Melanie at the end of her street. From there, we continued walking down the road until we got to the Tesco area (Tesco being a large supermarket...much like a cross between a superstore and a NoFrills). Before we decided to do grocery shopping, we thought it would be a wise decision to have lunch (especially after our 45 minute walk). We had a meal at Nandos, a Portuguese restaurant known for its Pirri Pirri chicken. It was really good (I had half a chicken with sweet potato mash...mmmm). I would definitely go back again and try something different.
After lunch and a quick walk into Aldi (similar to Lidl...but I don’t know how to describe it besides that), we went to Tesco. In the end, I didn’t get much (as I didn’t like the layout of the store and found it less organized and more overwhelming than Morrisons). It definitely didn’t live up to the hype, although it is good to know that there is a supermarket open “24 hours” (except Saturdays where it’s open until about 8 and then Sundays, open until about 6). We walked back home, grocery bags in hand (and although I said I didn’t buy much, the weight of what I did purchase seemed to get heavier and heavier along the walk...45 minutes seems really long with heavy bags to carry). Interesting enough, we only saw one bus pass us on the way back, and when we originally walked to the complex, we didn’t even see one.
The rest of the evening was spent planning or chilling. (As you can see, the stories seem to be losing their flavour...sorry). I have been forcing myself to stay awake past 8pm...and now that it’s about 10:30, I feel like I’ve accomplished just that (it helps when you watch an episode of the new House).
Sweet dreams all! Hopefully I will have more interesting stories soon.
Interesting Facts:
1) What we would call highways they call motor ways here.
2) Packaging of food contain a symbol that has a happy smiling face (the shape of a box) to let you know if it’s recyclable and a frowning face if it isn’t – but with a note to let the consumer know that the company is “working on it”.
3) They are very vegetarian friendly here – making sure to advertise on packages of food if it is vegetarian friendly...which is beneficial to Mel who is the only one of the girls here who is Vegetarian. (This includes McDonalds) [I feel like I’ve mentioned this before, but I just found it more pronounced today when we went shopping.]
No comments:
Post a Comment