Sunday, 18 October 2009

Sunday, October 18 (am)

I apologize for not writing more regularly, but I often feel that 1) I really don’t have anything interesting to say now that things are becoming more routine and 2) because I have been fairly busy throughout the weeks – especially as we are wrapping up half-term (as they call it).

Friday went by as it usually does with my year 10s – a struggle to keep them motivated to listen as well as to try and teach concepts that may be too hard for them. As the year 11s aren’t here this week and next, the administration thought it would be a good idea to have the breaks moved to earlier times of the day (as they have the latest break periods of all the years). Well, I decided to keep things as they were (otherwise my students would be sitting for 2 hours and 40 minutes for period 3 and 4 – by giving them their lunch at their regular time, it broke up the sitting to 1 hour 20 minutes sessions...why do administrators think they should change things without looking at all the facts?). I told my students as they came in and yes, they raised a bit of a stink about it, but I received more of a problem with it from my TA. She complained that she had made plans with the other TAs to have breakfast with them, to which I looked at her (thinking, “Are you kidding me?”) and said, “Well, keeping it the same would be in the best interest for the students”.

After school, and dealing with whining from the students that they couldn’t go to the computer room – ummm...because the computers were down - I went to the restaurant to have a hot chocolate and relax with the Science group. As we had gone for drinks after the open house on Thursday (and because of an instant headache as I was gathering my things to go home), I decided to forgo the after school drinks at the Warren and made my way home. The evening ended with watching some television before going to bed. (Can I say I HATE this show called e-love that my roomies love...it’s about people who have relationships on line and then meet up – usually across the world. Only one has truly ended in a lasting relationship).

Saturday was refreshing. After a shower and breakfast, I went into town and headed for the tourist information centre. There I picked up some information books talking about what is happening in the local vicinity as well as a guide called, “What’s on in and around Kettering”. They produce them every month and it gives, obviously, the events happening (like social dances, as well as Boot Sales) for the month. I then went to the library and got myself a library card. I also noticed that they have a walking audio tour available – which I might do some time in the next couple of weeks. It would be interesting to learn a bit about the history of the place in which I live...especially as it appears to have quite a bit of history (see the history on Wicksteed Park at http://wicksteedpark.co.uk/history.aspx). Next stop was to visit the main church in town. It was originally known as the Parish Church, but is now called Saint Peter and Saint Paul (I guess they couldn’t make up their minds as to which saint to call it). Apparently, this church is over 500 years old and has been added to over the years. It is a beautiful church that continues to have service on Sundays (in fact, I think I will be checking it out after I type this blog as it’s 10:07 right now). The two women who were there to greet visitors, Mary and Gladys, were lovely and enjoyed hearing about the Canadians who have come to teach at KSA.

The rest of the day consisted of purchasing a pair of flannel PJs for the cold nights, a couple sweaters, a search for shirts for work (but not a successful one), and then washing my unmentionables in the sink – as we still don’t have our washing machine back. I went to visit Mel at her flat while the girls went to Market Harbour for a rugby match. I hope to be able to join them on their next trip in – but Mel needed some company (as she needs to rest her leg for our trip to Ireland next weekend).

Okay, I need to run to church, but I will try to post some interesting facts soon. Cheers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment