Thursday, 8 October 2009

Something Stinks...and it isn't me!

Today was interesting. We went to school as always, and this is the day where I have 2 classes to teach and 2 free periods...giving me time to plan...right? Well, I found out (about 5 minutes late) that I had to cover another class for 40 minutes in the arts department (though I think it’s stupid that any teacher would have to cover for another instead of getting a supply...it’s not like we get the time back. And, if you are going to have a teacher cover, it should be a teacher who is in the department...but that’s just me). Okay, so it threw off the beginning part of my day, but I went through with my year 7s and all seemed well. I had my lunch (tomato quiche...not one that I would recommend, but hey...it’s free), then went to the maths office to do some work. I walked in and I swear the room spun. I felt like I got hit by a ton of bricks with something that made me VERY sleepy, my body all achy, and my throat all scratchy. I am so terrified of getting this H1N1 flu that’s apparently going around the school...so I’m hoping for an early night tonight. Anyway, I go on to teach my last class for the day (the year 8’s that were working well last class that wouldn’t shut up for this class...giving 4 students 15 minute catch-ups afterschool).

Yes, my learning catch-ups were supposed to be full this evening with 3 from my year 11 class, the year 9 brat who disturbed my class yesterday, and now the 4 that were disruptive today. Only the ones in my year 8 showed up (surprise, surprise) as they just stayed after last class and end of the day bell. Oh, and 5 minutes before the school day was up, the PSO for year 11 came up to me and said that a student who I gave 15 minutes to (on top of the 30 he owed another teacher) would NOT be coming as they are not to do more than 30 minutes. Interesting, I told her, as his guardian agreed to it as did he. Well, surprise he didn’t show up...oh wait, he did. He walked outside my window after he left his 30 minute catch-up and smiled at me before chuckling and walking on. Glad to know that I have support in this school.

The other thing that gets to me is that one of the girls told me that she is now being questioned on her ability to teach because of a medical condition she has (that she has been upfront with, with her agency and with all medical forms she has filled out). She was informed by her assistant head of department that they are considering her ability to teach now because of it. Obviously, she was in tears and now stands to worry about her job. This is totally not fair and illegal. It is seriously getting to the point where I will be put in a moral conundrum: If they let her go, can I work at a school that is so ignorant as to get rid of a great teacher just because of a medical condition that she had been upfront about? Even if she wasn’t up front about it...the answer to that question is no. I can’t stand for the ignorance of that, or for the ill treatment of my friend. This stinks!

Coming home, we found another thing that stinks. As Nike and Krista arrived home before me, they came upon this rancid smell in the kitchen (apparently an odour that came across before when I was in Canada for the wedding). They opened all the doors and windows, trying to air things out. I spent the next hour or so trying my best to clean the fridge (as the other girls were afraid of mould) and then trying to clean a drip tray we found at the back of the fridge that contained some alien, curdled substance (I think we found the culprit). Anyway, it was not a pretty sight...especially since we couldn’t figure out how to remove the drip tray from the back of the fridge and I ended up having to use paper towels and Q-tips to get out what I could. Hopefully, the smell will soon recede...though at the moment, it still lingers...bleh! Where’s the Arm and Hammer when you need it????? (Oh right, we tried looking for some but couldn’t).

Okay, I will end this post here and reach for a cup of tea before getting some sleep (hopefully getting rid of the aches and pains). Sorry for the disgusting e-mail. Maybe these couple of interesting facts will cheer you up.

Interesting Facts:

1) Apparently, after discussing my stair issue with others on staff, it is known that in older buildings, small stairs are common. That’s why they learn to walk sideways...maybe that would explain the slant they put on their sidewalks as well. Seriously! I prefer walking on the street...if only they weren’t so narrow.

2) On a Sunday or Monday morning, do not be surprised if your find a trail of unmentionable substances on the sidewalk on your walk to work/school. Yikes! (Sorry, last disgusting comment for this post, I promise).

3) Never tell a student that they are “writing” a test. They are either “doing” or “sitting” a test. “Writing” means they are literally writing the test questions.

4) If you tell a student to put a “check mark” by their correct answers, they will laugh. It is called a “tick”. Variations of this word (e.g. tick mark, check) will also get strange looks. The students have taken pity on me and told me that they don’t mind if I use the phrase “check mark”. (Aaaahhh!)

5) As I’ve been corrected many a time, it’s pronounce day-ta (long a sound), not da-ta. (Data)

1 comment:

  1. Time to write a new blog Steph...this one's been up here too long.. lol

    ReplyDelete