Well, it is now day...uuummmm...I think it's 2 weeks since we had a working washing machine. As much as I don't mind washing my pants (i.e. underwear) and socks in the sink, I REALLY need to get a washing machine soon to wash the larger items (like my trousers and shirts)...otherwise, I will continue to see a dip in my bank account (and I'm trying to save up for my trip to Ireland). [UPDATE: I spoke with Andy - the hot landlord - and he said that he would go out and purchase a new washing machine tomorrow (since the guy repairing it keeps saying he's waiting on the part and doesn't know when it will come in). I just hope it comes soon.]
Last night I went online to check-in...and can I say that I HATE technology once again. I was online and put in my information, but thanks to my stupid laptop who's keys seem to be giving me issues, I missed a number when inputting the information for my passport number. When I went to send the information through, I noticed the error and tried to cancel the sending of information...but that screen didn't have that option. It did, however, warn me that any information I send through cannot be changed once I go through that page - without an option to action cancel it in case I wanted to change anything. So, I now am checked in with a passport number missing a single digit and am praying that Ryanair will be kind enough to let me board the plane (as the rest of the information is correct) without having to pay a big fee to change it...keeping my fingers crossed.
Today I only had one class to teach, as my year 11s are still on work experience, but I was trying to sit in on a year 8 class in a different subject to see how other teachers deal with my lovelies. I was there 10 minutes when another woman came by and asked to speak with the teacher - who came back and said we'd have to reschedule (she was going to have to leave as her child was ill). So, we are going to try again for Thursday...this should be fun.
After school, I was helping out with the chess club and actually had the chance to play the game with one of my students. It was funny how I actually put the student into check within about 3 moves...ask me to do it again and I wouldn't be able to, but it was interesting to see nonetheless. In the end, he had to go before we could finish the game, but if we went by pieces, I actually would have won...odd.
I am spending the rest of my evening trying to get reading and assignments done for my Ottawa course (as I don't want to worry about it while I'm on vacation). Hope all is well back in Canada.
BTW: Happy Birthday to John (Oct. 19) and Happy Birthday to Mark (today!!!!)
Interesting Facts:
1) Never call a purse a purse...I have been corrected I don't know HOW many times that it's called a bag (although I argue that a bag is what you put your groceries...but that's just me)
2) I am SERIOUSLY getting sick and tired of hearing the conversations my students have in the corridors with each other (with the amount of swearing, the content, and using things like the "c" word)...it is really disturbing. It got to the point where I had to close my classroom door on my off period so that I could try top block it out. It just befuddles me that children of that age use that kind of language. Actually, I hate hearing it at any age, but it's all the more sad that it is with these kids (in years 7 and 8...as well as beyond).
3) There are a strangely large number of cats that are walking about in our neighbourhoods...they can't all be Hogwarts teachers that can transform themselves...can they? One in particular is very odd as it sometimes follows us on our walk down St. Peter's Ave. We know it's there because it has a bell on its neck and we can hear it jingle as it pads by. What's really odd about this feline is that when we can't see it as we are walking by a car (and it is on the other side of it), it speeds up - jingling faster. When it's in view again, it slows down. It does, however, know where not to go past...as it went a little too far the other day and the dogs in the houses started barking. But, no worries, we are soon surrounded by a few other cats in the next set of houses - and we see them both on the way to school as well as on the way home...the first one being a big white cat that sits on one of the lawn chairs a couple houses down from where we live. GREAT!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment