I feel like a spy. As I mentioned in my previous blog, I went to the Parish Church (a.k.a. Ss Peter and Paul) in town for mass today. I have to say, it felt odd to stand as the procession when through with a female priest. Then, I tried following the guide handed out before mass (which tells when to sit, stand, kneel, etc.) while watching those around me to copy them when they did things (so I would blend in). It was interesting, though, to compare things from this mass (which I assume is Anglican – and was really similar to the Catholic faith) to a regular Catholic mass. For example, they use incense, candles, and the crucifix when they walk in the procession; they have two readings instead of 3 – both of which come from the New Testament; I found the dress and general aspects of the mass to be more ornate than in a Catholic mass – where a person wearing white gloves holds the bible during the reading of the Gospel, then goes away, holding the book and “locks” it away for the rest of mass; everyone follows the mass in their handouts – not really just sitting and listening to scripture; and during the sign of peace, people actually leave their pews and shake hands with people around them. Oh, they also don’t have kneelers, but they have cushions that you put on the floor and kneel on (when the guide tells you to). What I think was the oddest thing for me dealt with the fact that people didn’t make the sign of the cross, although the priest did. Also, for communion, the procession is much like it would be at a Catholic mass, but you go up to the altar and kneel at the communion rail to receive the communion (a piece of bread) and a sip of wine follows. This was what it was like up to the 60s in Catholic churches, but the communion rail has since been removed – so I found this part interesting...but odd at the same time. Also, people sing the closing hymn, then the procession leaves and everyone goes home. Hmmm...interesting, and I will probably go back again in a couple of weeks, but I think I will be making my parish St. Edward’s...at least I don’t feel like an intruder there.
After mass, I walked through this alley way that surrounds the church but leads back to where I live. It was a beautiful walk and I took some pictures I will eventually post. What I liked most about it, though, was that this walk really helped me to feel like it was a beautiful Autumn day, complete with different coloured leaves...and as Fall is my favourite season, I drank it all up.
At home, I changed into my trainers and then went to town in search of clothing and groceries (yes...I have to STOP shopping). I came home and chatted with a few friends (Carolin did the zoo walk yesterday in 48 minutes! Congrats! And tomorrow will be John’s birthday. Ooh, and Natasha’s brother and girlfriend – Nick and Tina – got engaged!). I think I’m going to make something to munch on, and then continue on with trying to get some planning done.
Interesting facts:
I have alluded to a few interesting things in my post, but I will break them down a bit here – as well as include others.
1) Running shoes are known as trainers here – that’s how they distinguish “Americans” from the British.
2) If you tell someone you love Fall, they will look at you funny. It is AUTUMN here – which I find interesting because when I taught kindergarten, I made it a point to teach my students both terms for my favourite season...but here, not even my year 10s know what I meant by “Fall”.
3) A “lift” is an elevator – which makes sense when you are going up floors...but when you’re going down floors...it seems a strange name.
4) Traffic lights here light up from red, to yellow (or as they call it, “amber”), to green – as well as the reverse as it does at home. I think that’s actually a good thing.
5) When people ask if you are interested in someone, they ask if you “fancy” them. Now I understand the term “tickle your fancy” all the more.
6) I was shocked the other day when I heard my co-worker say she was excited to find that we had a guillotine in the storage room and that she was going to hold on to it until she was done using it. You can imagine my relief when I realized she meant a paper cutter.
7) I love the terms: “Oh my giddy aunt” and “I like the cut of your gib.” (Terms I have heard people say that I thought I’d only find on the Black Adder).
Hey it's Deb; after reading today's blog I have to wonder if that book we gave you is coming in handy at all ("Oh my giddy aunt", etc). It sounds to me like you went to an Anglican parish; could you have really made that your parish after all? Can we (us Catholics) do that? Did you receive communion there?
ReplyDelete:)
I did receive communion there at the communion rail - they said they were open to any person who would normally receive communion at their own parish. I didn't necessarily want to make it my parish, but I did want to check it out to see if it was different, and if so, how different it was.
ReplyDeleteI have been looking at the boook you gave (thank you very much) and really should be carrying it with me always...LOL.