Thursday...bloody Thursday! Well, you would think for a person who only had to teach 2 lessons today, things would be better but not so. I think I like having the 3 or more class days because then I feel like I’m accomplishing something. Today, I felt like a warden trying to keep students in line that have been thrown out of their class. This one kid is extremely nice one-on-one, but just doesn’t get along with his teacher or in his class. (Case in point, this is the same kid that was put into the maths office last week for his behaviour; and yesterday was heard yelling at the teacher in the hallway...disturbing my lesson). As this kid swore at the teacher, among other things, it was under the teacher’s understanding that he wouldn’t be at school today. So, you could understand her surprise when the kid showed up in class. As there was no “follow up” with the school administration for his poor behaviour, he was removed from the class and put in the maths office to be supervised. He was ticked off, but worked quietly and was polite to all of us. When I saw him in there again for period 3 (my other free period), I asked if he knew why he was actually in the office and not in class. It was then that I found out that he didn’t (hence the anger). I then explained to him the consequence he was receiving based on what his teacher was told from the incident that occurred the day before. After that, he thanked me for explaining it to him, and then went on in a better mood.
After school, we had a meeting with our school’s math consultant (who spent her day coming in and out of our lessons, making observations) to give us strategies to deal with teaching maths. We spent the next hour being lectured at and, to be honest, didn’t learn anything new. The thing these people don’t understand is that: 1) When you are just learning the curriculum and the expectations as a teacher, being really creative isn’t always possible; 2) The students have only been in school for just over a week and are still testing and making their way through their days – and don’t have relationships with the teachers yet; 3) No matter what you say, no student wants to sit in any subject for 4 hours (like I will be doing tomorrow with one group)...and the “strategies” she was giving wouldn’t work or would require us to have access to a photocopier at a whim. [For more information on the oddity of photocopying at school, read the interesting facts below.] Also, as pedagogy tells us, no one really listens after the first 15 minutes (if that), so lecturing me after I’ve been teaching all day for about an hour...I’m not going to be too receptive to what’s going on and might be a little quick tongued.
Tonight, I was supposed to have a conversation on Skype with Alex, but the lovely thing about technology is that my internet is really sucking right now....GRR!!!! For that reason, it didn’t really work, AND I can’t even go onto the website I need for my course at St. Paul’s. I just hope they understand. (However, I am grateful I can update this blog).
Okay, posting my interesting facts then heading to bed (or watching an episode of Bones...then bed). Cheers!!!
Interesting Facts:
1) In town, there is a phone booth/cash machine. How...um...convenient?
2) Cash machines are called “hole in the walls”
3) I think I mentioned this before, but refusing tea is considered an insult.
4) Houses here have very steep stairs that can barely fit a person’s foot. I found this out the hard way when I almost fell last night going down the stairs to go to the washroom...through the kitchen. (That might explain the pain in my back today...who knew?)
5) Houses are also fairly similar to those in Sicily in that the front door opens to the sidewalk (and a small sidewalk at that...not at all the size of that in Toronto).
6) “White goods” refer to the stove, fridge, freezer, and washing machine...all of those things are found in the kitchen [this seems like déjà vu...so I apologize if I am repeating myself].
7) Normally, in a school, I am used to doing my own photocopying when I need it. Apparently, at this school, you have to put an order in and put what you need in a tray at least one day before to make sure you have the copies you need for the next class. So, if you plan like me and like to prepare things the night before (so that you also don’t misplace them), you are out of luck. I guess that implies I need to be more on top of things...but let’s be realistic...it’s just a stupid rule.
8) Don’t bother looking for “cookies” on any of the signs in the grocery aisles. They are called “biscuits” here.
No comments:
Post a Comment