Happy Sunday!
Last night, thanks to cable, we watched TV when Mel came over. What was the first thing we watched, you might ask? Well...we first watched a show called “Bridezilla” (and here I thought I left that all behind in May...sorry Monica) and then an episode of “Dating in the Dark”. The dating program we watched was as stupid as it sounds. There were three British “blokes” and three females who were put in a house and had, literally, dates in the dark. [Okay, so a lot of people know the premise, but I am just putting it out there to understand how BAD this show is.] The funny thing is, once you start watching the episode, it’s so bad but you feel like you have to see it all the way through. (However, once it’s over, you do promise yourself NEVER to watch another episode). In this particular episode, it was interesting to see how it ended. Two out of the three couples really didn’t seem to hit it off too well on the dates, but at the end (after they were individually revealed to one another and had to choose whether or not to meet in the light and go on a “normal” date) those couples decided to try a real date because they had great conversations. With the one couple that got along together so well in the dark, the female decided not to meet with the male in light. Why? Because he was a “ginger”, and hence not her normal type...even though they got along well before she saw him. Hmmm...
After the episode, my roomies went out to check out the clubbing scene again, while I stayed home to watch Bones and do some planning. I got a bit of a fright when, about 10 minutes after the girls left, I heard someone trying to open up our back door – reminding me to double check that doors are locked. (I didn’t mention earlier but one morning, we were heading out to work and I went to go unlock our front door only to realize that it was already unlocked. The one night I went to bed early and didn’t check because the other girls were still downstairs is the day they didn’t lock it. I WILL be making it my responsibility from now on to make sure it IS locked...especially after last night.)
I almost began my day at 7am today...what the heck is wrong with me? I go to bed at 1:30am and wake up at 7???? So, like any reasonable person, I forced myself to stay in bed and woke up about an hour later (at least it was a bit better). I do admit, though, that I enjoy waking up early on Sunday. I get to take my time and get ready for my day – getting a jump start on my work planning or work for my Ottawa course while the rest of the house is still asleep. It was good!
I then went to church for 10:30 mass. I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed when I saw who was officiating over the mass. Besides the embarrassing comment I made last week about the priest, I have to admit he was at least interesting to listen to and his sermon was pertinent to the scripture (okay...yes, please skip to the next paragraph if you don’t care to hear my commentary on my faith development). This priest is also hard to understand or hear as he mumbles. I did, however, enjoy the choir this week ...we actually had one! [By the way, my interesting facts today are comments on my church experience...just giving fair warning.]
After church, I went on with my routine I would do back home: I went out for lunch (I really miss you guys: Mark, Catherine, and sometimes John) – it’s not the same without you. After a “traditional” British breakfast (the actual name on the menu for toast, one egg, beans, ham – a.k.a. back bacon, and hash brown), I went into town for a little “shopping”. I picked up a few items, including a black ¾ length trench coat. I came home and eventually went out again with Nike to l look for shoes (more specifically boots to wear with my skirts...but no such luck). While we were out, we ran into the other Canadian girls who informed us that they spent their first two paycheques on clothing and shoes. With a smile and nod, we walked away. Nike and I couldn’t believe they’ve spent that much money on clothes and shoes...did they buy themselves a new wardrobe??? It’s not THAT expensive for clothes here (hello, my trench only cost me 45 pounds).
The rest of my evening was put towards planning or making dinner. This week is going to be CRAZY – making sure I have all my planning done for my cover this Thursday and Friday – as well as possibly Monday. I don’t think I wrote about this (if I have, please ignore) but I reminded Diane (one of the VP’s who I had the interview with before I received this job) that I would be away for 4th period on Thursday, all of Friday, and Monday as well for Catherine and Mark’s wedding. I went on to tell her that I would be in earlier Monday, but due to poor connections for when my flight gets in Sunday, I won’t be able to make it back to Kettering...not unless I got a taxi but that would be REALLY expensive. She then turned to me and said that the school would pay for my taxi back – as they would rather pay for that and have me back at school then to have to get a supply. I was shocked when she said that...partly because the school would be willing to pay and partly because she expects me to teach after an action packed weekend in Canada...I don’t know how functional I will be. Hmmm...What to do?
Interesting Facts:
(As I mentioned, they are mostly themed around observations of mass)
1) Incense is GREATLY used during at the beginning, during, and end of mass. Thankfully, it isn’t a strong scent...but it is interesting to see.
2) It is odd, but the Hail Mary is recited after the intercessions in mass (which, if you know anything about the Roman Missal, is a BIG no, no...So I feel bad reciting it).
3) To begin mass, you hear bell chimes and all people stand (unlike back home where the choir director or someone else asks us to stand). It has a good effect, it just seems odd.
4) The songs during mass are not consistent from week to week. Without having notes in the hymnals, it makes it really hard for new-comers to become acclimatized or feel like part of the congregation.
5) When I was at breakfast, I was surprised to see an “American breakfast” on the menu items. The meal includes egg, toast, and pancakes with maple syrup. I might have to try that one week for shits and giggles...see how good that maple syrup is.
6) The bar menus also usually includes a combo-type meal which includes a drink (much like we have back home). Funny, though, is that for a drink you can choose regular stuff like pop, water, tea or coffee, or you can choose something like a pint of beer (though the types are specified). LOL, that is just SO British ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment