Two weeks down!!! I have to say I found this Friday’s lessons to be hard to execute. Today I had the “bottom set” year 10s (the lowest achieving group) for three lessons. Yes...for 4 hours. Last week, I kept them mostly entertained for the majority of class...but today, something was just off...and I had to yell at them at one point (where I felt my face going red). Near the end, I had it and sent out 3 students in the hallway. It was ridiculous!
When I originally heard that the schools here separated students by ability, I thought it was a good idea...that way you can focus on HOW to teach where they are. Now, I am realizing that just because they are in the bottom group doesn’t necessarily mean it is just because of ability. Sometimes it is due to behaviour issues and other times because of attendance issues – and THAT is what throws off the class and the learning that happens. I kind of like having my mixed ability groups, where the students who finish the work early can help others or be self-guided while I assist those in need of extra help. It was definitely a draining day, and one that “ended” with a ½ pint of Strongbow at the Warren (I think we are going to make that a weekly ritual). I am currently passing the time before one of our co-workers comes to pick us up for a BBQ at her house – which was very nice of her to ask. We’ve been told we should bring a sweater (and our own drinks). I will let you know how it goes.
Interesting Facts:
1) Keyboards for the computer are different here, obviously. For example, the upper signs for the 2, 3, and comma button are “, the pound sign, and the @ symbol (respectively). This isn’t an issue when we use the notebook computers we received, as they say they are those buttons but when are used, they are the same as ours. However, the difference comes when we are in the classroom and we use the teacher desktop.
2) I had a student ask me today what language I learned in school, to which I told them English. They then asked me how I learned it...and I told them the same as them, and they looked at me funny. I had to tell them that I speak the same language as them; we just sometimes use different words for the same thing. I was discussing this with my roommates and it turns out they have been asked similar questions. They were asked if they speak Canadian and how they had learned English.
3) The different word thing can make the difference when you are yelling at students who are pushing others into the boys “toilet” and you’re yelling at them to get out of the washroom. Being ridiculed for the words you are saying doesn’t help when you are peeved, to which I responded, “Get out of the bloody room you’ve just pushed the kids into...the washroom, toilet, or whatever it is called...RIGHT NOW!!!!!” Although now, I have to say I can laugh about it.
4) One of my students decided to try to speak with my accent today. After a really good imitation of me, I then said, “Okay, my turn” and then went on to say the word “what” the way how they say it, which sounds more like “WUH”. They laughed and said I was “spot on”.
No comments:
Post a Comment