Tuesday, 15 September 2009

Input cutesy title here

Tuesday’s down...and I have survived the year 11’s. Okay, I still have tomorrow with them, but I am being positive. In fact, I’m taking a chance and I’m keeping all three of my year 11 classes. What I mean is that being that I’m hired for the school under their “new contract”, I shouldn’t be teaching more than 16 classes...but low and behold I am set to teach 17. When the two Johns heard that, they made it a point to find out how they can fix my schedule (even though there are another couple of new staff members that are teaching 17 classes as well...it’s nice to be a “new” teacher in the school system). I was given the option to either get rid of one of my year 11 classes or get rid of the single year 9 class I taught on Friday (which I shared with another staff member). After today’s class, I decided to keep the 11s and get rid of the 9s (it made more sense to me...let’s just hope my sanity wins the war).

Interesting Facts:

1) Schools here are different, for many reasons I’ve explained before, but specifically today I found out that teachers are expected to leave the school by 6pm...a far cry from the 11pm I was allowed at St. AD

2) Something else education related, I am so used to now watching how to say decimal numbers that I am having a hard time re-programming myself. For example, the number 147.5 back home is read as “one hundred forty-seven AND five tenths”. Here, they read that as “one hundred AND forty-seven decimal five” which wouldn’t be odd as that is how I used to read that number growing up, but since I’ve been reading it the first way....it makes more sense. (Although, when I tried explaining it to the people here at work, they looked at me like I was growing a second head or something).

3) There are MANY letting agents in one small town and they don’t communicate with each other. They also have “cute” names like “Let Us”, “Let It!”, “Your Move”, and “Lets Rent”.

Okay, I know it’s cheesy...but that’s all I have today. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment