Wednesday, 30 September 2009

Thursday, September 24

Before getting to bed on Wednesday, I made sure that my suitcase was packed and ready. Thursday morning, I walked to school with the girls, making my way to the maths office to make sure that all my photocopies were organized and ready to go to reprographics to be printed off. (With all the planning I had to do Wednesday night for the next few days, I was so on top of my teaching...it was kind of funny). I taught my one class in a blur, then went to the restaurant for lunch before leaving for home. When I got home, I was side-tracked by my neighbour, George, who wanted me to tell him the story from last Saturday night again (the possible attempt at getting in through our back door). He apologized profusely for the incident occurring, as if he had some control over it, and said it was because he wants to be a good neighbour and have us feel as though we can come to him with any problems. (It’s kind of like having my Dad with me...he’s really sweet).

After changing for the trip, I made my way, suitcase in hand, to the railway station (with many a look from people along the way). The train station was really nice and really quiet. It was fairly easy to get to Heathrow airport (even though I had to take two trains to get there). I even got a chance to nap on the train that left from Kettering to get to St. Pancras. It was also refreshing to see that the people who worked at the train stations were very helpful at directing you where you needed to go.

I got to the airport in the time I hoped to get there (5pm) then had a couple hours to look around and go shopping! (Yay) I then made my way to the gate (after it was posted...and yes, you need to wait in one main waiting area until your gate is posted on a big TV screen...did I mention I LOVE Pearson airport???). The cool thing about going to your gate, though, is that once you are at your gate, you are into your own waiting area until you are called onto the plane. The down side is that if you need to go to the toilets, you will have to wait until you are on the plane.
The plane ride consisted of 4 movies, and a 45 minute delay. (Odd fact: I waited a whole 6.5 hours before using the toilet). When I touched down, I jetted to customs and to baggage claim – where I waited another 20 minutes. Okay, one bag in hand, I hurried to the exit. I was then directed to the “left” before I could exit – meaning I had to see a customs officer. Turns out that even though I am Canadian, I am a VISITOR in my own country – therefore filling my form out incorrectly...I still can’t believe it. But, what can I do. When I was cleared, I hurried to the exit – seeing Dad in the distance – and quickly met up with Dad and Seb with one of the first questions I asked them being: “Can I please drive home?” We arrived home around midnight, and I had a quick bit of lasagne (I love being spoiled). However, as bad as it was for my stomach, I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment