Today is...well...Saturday. We finally got one pay cheque, so it’s nice to know that spending money if need be is an option again. I did have to pick up a few items today, such as a chair for my desk, a light bulb for my lamp, as well as a few grocery items. By the way, you can purchase 5 chicken legs and 2 thighs, already marinated, for only 2 pounds at the local butcher (approximately $4 Canadian). But, I have to admit I’m a little turned off when I saw, after opening the package, that the pieces had some feathers still attached...gulp!
I am still trying to get a routine into place here, but as I feel as though I’m still rushing around everywhere, I don’t feel I’ve found a pattern yet in my days. Yes, I am a little odd in that I like a routine and to try and stick with it. Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks, that will come.
Our house goal for today was to get broadband/wireless, and a phone line (cable too, if possible). This came as we thought we were accepted for the package from the post office, only to find out that our credit check didn’t go through. We have been finding it frustrating that although we have informed them that we just moved here from Canada to work, they won’t let us sign up for anything. You have to have been a resident for at least 1 year...maybe 3...before we can do any “contract” stuff. It is ridiculous! I mean all three of us can pass a credit check in Canada, but here...no chance! Luckily, after many tries, we found one place that would give us a great deal on our home phone, internet, as well as water, gas, and electricity...where we can even call Canada for free 24/7!!!! The problem is that it won’t be hooked up for a couple of weeks – but hopefully it will all work out (keep your fingers crossed).
Interesting facts:
1) They call the back end of the car (i.e. the trunk) a “boot”. Related to this, Wicksteed Park (the oldest “amusement park” in England which can be found in our very own Kettering) has a Boot Sale every weekend. Now ladies, don’t get too excited...it’s not a shoe sale. Instead, it’s the equivalent of a flea market or farmer’s market... (Selling items out of the boot of a vehicle, maybe?)
2) “Queues” (or line-ups) are not liked here in England...but then again, who really likes to stand in line in Canada?
3) We have learned new terminology from our South African friends. Apparently, in South Africa, they call a round-about a “circle”, a traffic light a “robot”, and car horns are called “hooters” (though we couldn’t resist telling them what a “hooter” is in Canada...and I don’t mean an owl).
4) You need to prove that you are at least 21 years of age when purchasing any sharp item or tool (such as a knife or a tool kit). When I asked why, a lot said they weren’t entirely sure, but they think because they can be used as a weapon (and you thought Scarborough was bad).
5) Although I haven’t seen a tremendous amount of insects, we have noticed an abnormally large number of bees, SPIDERS (now I know why they were a big deal in the Harry Potter series), and snails/slugs.
6) Houses and gates seem to attempt to prevent pigeons and other birds from resting on them by placing sharp wire around lights, wire along house roofs, and even a bed of nails along the tops of gates. Hmmm....
7) Beer cans have small warning labels on them (showing a silhouette of a pregnant woman with a line through it) as well as recommended amount of alcohol consumption depending on gender. [FYI, women shouldn’t consume more than 2.5 units and men about 4 units of alcohol per day] As for what a unit consists of, I can only assume about ½ pint is one unit. (So, yesterday when I had 1 pint of beer...I had my alcohol allowance for a day).
8) My last point for the day deals with money. Although I kind of like the idea that the larger the size of a bill means the larger the value the currency, all that goes to shambles when looking at the coins. There is a 1p coin that is equivalent in value and size to our penny. Then, there is a 2p coin which is the colour of our penny and the size of our Toonie. Next, there is a 5p coin which is the size of our dime; a 10p coin the size of our quarter; a 20p coin that is smaller than the 10p coin and octagonal in shape; a 50p coin the size of a 2p coin by with edges like the 20p and silver in colour; a 1 pound coin the same size and shape of a Euro; and lastly, a 2 pound coin that looks like our Toonie...and you thought Canada had too many coins! For the first couple of weeks here, I’ve been avoiding using them because I was always afraid of making a mistake or I just really didn’t want to have to count them out. Now...I’m getting the hang of it and my coin purse is SOOOO much lighter!!!
Cheers!
Ha! In the Philippines nails on top of the gate is to prevent people from climbing over!
ReplyDelete