Saturday, 19 September 2009

We have cable AND a home phone...yay!!!!

Last night’s BBQ was lovely – Dee has a beautiful family. They are so close knit, and they are so welcoming...it was like being at home. Their son, Jaime, even entertained us with his slight of hand and magic card tricks. It was amazing! We were there until around 1 a.m., then got a drive home.

Today, I wanted to sleep in, but of course I was up and about by 8:30. So, of course I took advantage of the situation and did some work for school and my Ottawa course...right... (*rolling eyes). I watched a couple episodes of Bones, then made my way to town with Nike to purchase some strawberries (they were really yummy last week), then pick up a few items at Morrisons.

After an episode or two of Bones (yes, I’m starting to obsess...which means I’m getting into a routine...YAY), Melanie came over to plan. Her and I then went out and took pictures of the crazy signs and shop names around town. It was fun! We also started talking more about our vacation in October. We might go to Ireland instead first (apparently, we can get a return flight for 50 pounds).

Interesting Facts:

1) Working at a grocery store must be hard here...the cashiers sit on stools by the register all day. (I vaguely remember that being the case at Highland Farms many moons ago, but haven’t seen that in years).

2) I now know where mom gets her liking for beans on toast from...her British influence (which is also where she gets her obsession with Royal Doulton). They have beans on toast offered at every breakfast at school and the grocery store has an aisle slotted for many different types of beans (you know...like pork and beans that one normally brings camping or something).

3) Leek is very popular here – as it is offered as a side vegetable at many a meal. Makes sense, because if you’ve ever had leek, you will realize that there really isn’t much taste be had...unless you douse it in gravy.

4) Oh, and they like their mushrooms here as well...but that I don’t mind, because I eat mushrooms at least 3 times a week.

5) They call avocados “avocado pears” here...which I found odd because I thought they were talking about some other type of fruit when they asked if I would like to try it.

6) The Brits refer to the body of water that you fly over to go from Canada to the UK as a “pond”...umm...someone needs to tell them that their perception of distance is slightly skewed. (Okay, so it was just Big John that called it that, but I’m just generalizing for all British people, LOL).

7) Although I often find it hard back home to get my new favourite apple, Pink Ladies (thank you Debbie), they are apparently very popular here. I just bought a bag of six for 1 pound today.

CORRECTION: In one of my previous blogs, I misinformed you on how many mL are in a pint. The correct answer is 568 mL.

P.S. I had a strange urge to have a little taste of home today...so I took out the KD (thanks Carolin, Anne, Kate, Glenn, Teresa). Note to self: no matter how much you want to eat KD, NEVER eat the full box in one sitting...bad idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment