WARNING!!!! I am going to get “religious” for a moment. I have to keep reminding myself...God doesn’t throw things at you that you can’t handle. I say this because, as I entered the “restaurant” for our morning briefings, I was approached by the VP who interviewed me (Diane) who asked me if I wouldn’t mind being a “form tutor”...starting today. A form tutor is like homeroom teacher, where information is passed on to the students and they touch base about their classes and such...I think. Either way, the woman who is the primary form tutor for this year 11 group will be going on maternity leave in/after December, so they want to make sure that there is another teacher who will be able to make up for it when she’s gone. This particular group of students apparently has had a new form tutor every year (which is not normal) and they want to give this group a bit of consistency. So, for now, they have 2 and I will be getting to know them – eventually taking over when she leaves. It is a good idea, but the problem is that I will now be teaching 17 classes, and the daily 20-minute break I had between period 1 and 2 has now been removed...so I have days where I go non-stop. Considering I have to even eat my lunches and breakfast with my students in the restaurant doesn’t even allow me to go to the washroom...at least not for the first couple of weeks! I have no idea what to do...it’s not like I could say no.
However, after school today (oh right, I have to stay until 5:05 on Tuesday and Thursday nights for “enrichment”) I spoke with the two John’s about my schedule. When they asked me about how many free periods I had, I told them 3. It was then that they realized that contractually, one of my classes needs to be removed (as we are to have 20% of our week free from students). Little John (as we’ve decided to call him to distinguish him from former pilot John) said he would look into my schedule...and hopefully that will change to the 16 class maximum that I am supposed to have. Big John is also making a point to make sure that the girls and I are taken care of. He really hopes one of us will choose to stay and assist with the maths department...maybe becoming the head of maths – and he also wants to be sure we aren’t taken advantage of by the school or by the agency (which is really nice of him). [As a side note, he’s also trying to make sure we meet a nice chap at a local football or rugby game...you know, a “real man”] LOL.
Some of the other maths people are brilliant (and just so you know, I am not misspelling the word “maths”...that is how math is referred to in the British education system). Chockey (as is his nick-name, his real name is Johannes) was nice enough to listen to me vent about my new predicament with becoming a form tutor, as well as helping to fix up my bulletin boards in my classroom. Strangely enough, this South African (as he is referred to in our department...one of two) warned me about not trusting the English, and to try not to complain too much (not that I was really complaining, just thrown for a loop). He doesn’t seem to trust English people, and yet he purposely moved here and chose to work within the school system here...so I find that odd. But, either way, he is really nice to talk to (although I will take heed...even when talking to him). Matt is an odd character. He is a grumpy man, but has a sense of humour (every once and a while). I can’t quite make him out...but he isn’t that bad. He showed me this great website where it changes your name into an anagram. For example, when you take the letters of my first and last name and mix them around, you apparently get: “repetitive piranhas”. You should check it out, just for kicks, at www.anagramgenius.com.
Interesting Facts:
1) It is an insult, in Britain, to ask a person to take their shoes off at the door. Instead, they are to walk around with their outdoor shoes throughout the house, or at least wear socks or slippers. Don’t be fooled though...this does not give you permission to put your feet up on the bed if you are wearing shoes (especially your wellies). One of the other girls did this at the B&B and got in trouble for doing so (even if they were never worn outside)...but then again, I thought that was common sense. [I put it in this entry, because I just remember...yes, I am very forgetful].
2) “Trousers” is the word for “pants”; and “pants” is the word for “underwear”...so be careful not to ask someone change their pants (though why you would, I don’t know).
3) “Jumpers” are “sweaters”; and our “jumpers” would be dresses here.
4) “Mobiles” are cell phones, but can also mean being able to drive (depending on the context).
5) I realized this morning, on my walk to work, that a lot of buildings here have been around since the mid-1800s. I mean, I know I was told our house was from the 1700s, but I don’t think they are that old – most like 1800s. Either way, it’s kind of cool to realize that as you’re walking around town.
Is the South African an Afrikaaner by any chance? I had an English South African tutor in university and she said that in some part of SA, Afrikaaner and English South Africans don't mingle or get along. Apparently Afrikaaners remember being fucked over by the British during the Boer Wars.
ReplyDelete